Search This Blog

Sunday, January 1, 2017

Letter - Seek for things that satisfy, the object of the entire Law is the spirit of obedience to God

January 1, 2017

Happy New Year!!  2016 was very good to our family.  We finished the year off in a fun way last night.  Wynn, Tyler, Kayla and their families all came over for a New Year’s Eve party.  The weather was very nice and the kids were able to play in the backyard without jackets.  They lit sparklers and after a light, warm rain we built a fire in our fire pit and they roasted marshmallows and made s’mores.  The adults kept busy visiting in the family room.  Wynn and Tyler’s families had to leave before midnight came around, but since Kayla and her family stayed overnight with us we all (except Tilly who asked to go to bed around 9:30) stayed up until midnight to watch the recorded footage of the ball drop in Times square.  I hurried next to Chad during the last few seconds of 2016 so we could give each other a kiss as the New Year rolled around.  It is such a blessing to have a sweetheart.  Chad is such a good man and I’m so glad to be his wife.     
     
It has been interesting going through the Christmas season while being on a strict diet.  I have learned to celebrate without food. To find joy in being with loved ones and feeling the spirit of the Christmas season. Most of the time it hasn’t been too hard, but there have been a couple of times when I have wanted to try some of the yummy desserts or foods I’m not allowed to eat on this phase of my diet.  A scripture has come to mind as I’m learning to eat better and reset my metabolism.  It is the first part of verse 51 in 2 Nephi 9.  “Wherefore, do not spend money for that which is of no worth, nor your labor for that which cannot satisfy ….”  The things that I am eating now are very basic, and they satisfy the needs of my body.  When I eat treats such as chocolates or desserts like cookies or cinnamon rolls one is never enough.  I always want more and more until I eat so much that I feel sick and ashamed of myself.  The foods I eat now do not leave me craving more junk food.  The only problem is my mind remembers how good that junk food tastes.  I’m learning to like healthier foods though.  I have lost 18 pounds now.  I am noticing positive changes in my body and I feel better about myself. 

Today part of our opening hymn in sacrament meeting caught my attention.  “Come, let us anew our journey pursue, Roll round with the year, And never stand still till the Master appear.  His adorable will let us gladly fulfill, And our talents improve By the patience of hope and the labor of love, By the patience of hope and the labor of love.”  I haven’t yet decided what goals I am going to set for myself this year, but the line “And our talents improve by the patience of hope and the labor of love”, has me thinking about what talents I need to improve.  I know that as I fulfill my role as a wife and mother and as I fulfill my church calling by laboring with love my talents will improve.  I’m sure I can also find other specific find ways to improve my talents though.

My quote for today is from Jesus the Christ.  To preface, Elder Talmage was explaining how the Pharisees foolishly tried to pick which commandments were most important. They also tried to trap Jesus by asking which of the commandments is the greatest of all.  "None of them [pharisees] had realized the great principle, that the wilful violation of one commandment is the transgression of all (James 2:10), because the object of the entire Law is the spirit of obedience to God" (Talmage, Jesus the Christ, pg. 524).  It is important to be obedient to all commandments, not just the ones we think are more important than others.

Love,
Mindy

No comments: