Search This Blog

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Letter - Chad's New Calling, My Opportunity to Repent

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Happy birthday to my sister Celeste!!  I just texted her to wish her a happy birthday and she said she’s on the deck of the beach house that the Dana’s go to every year looking out at the beach.  I’m glad she’s having a great birthday.  She has always been so good and kind to me. She’s been a great example and I look up to her.

Just before church started today Chad got a new calling to be the first counselor in the Elder’s Quorum Presidency.  He hasn’t ever served in the Elder’s Quorum before so he’ll get to learn something new.  I have full faith that he’ll do a great job.  They sustained him and set him apart at the beginning of Elder’s Quorum and invited me in to witness it.  I was sitting next to Chad before he was sustained as a few of the Elders came in.  I felt very out of place.  One of our friends looked at me and said welcome to Elder’s quorum I jokingly said; yeah this is part of the Ordain Women movement.  Then said, I’m totally kidding.  I shouldn’t have said that, but I couldn’t resist the joke.  I’m sure the men figured out why I was there as soon as Chad was sustained and set apart.  I was glad to be there to witness the nice blessing they gave Chad, but I was sure glad to get back to the Laurel’s class.

Last week I had a wonderful experience.  I had a loved one humbly and prayerfully let me know that I had done some things to hurt their feelings over the years.  I was very grateful they shared those things with me so I could apologize and repent of the things that I had done to cause them pain and anxiety.  Even though I did not intentionally mean to hurt them, I still felt the need to repent of it and I felt badly about it.  I was so thankful we were able to talk about and work through those issues so we could build our relationship and so I could learn not to do those things again.  While the experience was painful and somewhat uncomfortable at times I still feel that it was wonderful that we could resolve those issues.  I hope that if I have offended anyone else they will come to me so I can learn to do better.  Hopefully the list of people I have offended isn’t very long though.  However, I know that I make mistakes and can be quite rough around the edges.  I am working on requiring less forgiveness. 

Here's a cute video of Tilly singing along to Do you Wanna Build a Snowman:

I took the kids to Snowflake on Wednesday July 9th and we stayed until Friday, the 11th.  We had a good time riding horses, swinging on the barn swing, exploring the cedars, playing with cousins and enjoying the cool weather.  The kids and I are going up to Snowflake again on Tuesday and then Chad will catch a ride with Ray and join us on Thursday night.  I’m looking forward to time with my family and cousins this week!! 




















When we came back home from Snowflake Sydney came with us and stayed with us for about a week.  We sure had fun having her here.  We took her to swim at the Lamoreaux’s a couple of times and we also went to Big Surf one day.  She went back home with Dean on Thursday. 



On Tuesday of this week Marlee lost her 1st tooth!!  She sure looks cute.  Her new tooth is already growing in to take the place of the baby tooth.


Last night for our date night Chad and I attended a session at the temple and then we went out to eat.  We tried to get into the 6:15 session but it was so busy that we had to wait until the 7:00 session.  When I go during the day or the evenings during the week it is not crowded, just the weekends.  We ate at Kona Grill after our session and it was delicious.  As it was our first time at that restaurant, we asked our waiter to recommend his favorite non-seafood dishes and found that there are plenty of yummy things for us non-seafood eaters.

We’ve been enjoying a relaxing Sunday afternoon.  Chad and Spencer took naps, the other kids played cards while I made cookies for my friend’s son’s missionary homecoming open house.  While the last batch was cooking I pulled out my violin and played a little bit and then each of the kids wanted a turn to try to play it.  We were having so much fun we forgot about the cookies in the oven and burnt them to a crisp.  Oh well.







My quote for today is from Pres. Monson’s talk The Holy Temple—A Beacon to the World“The world can be a challenging and difficult place in which to live. We are often surrounded by that which would drag us down. As you and I go to the holy houses of God, as we remember the covenants we make within, we will be more able to bear every trial and to overcome each temptation. In this sacred sanctuary we will find peace; we will be renewed and fortified.”  In January of this year I set a pretty rigorous goal regarding temple attendance.  It has been the biggest blessing in my life as different challenges have come my way.  The temple really has renewed and fortified me and helped me bear my trials and overcome temptation.  I know it has blessed my life and it can bless the life of everyone who worships within its doors.

Love,

Mindy

P.S.  Here's a link to see Bryant's online piano recital.

1 comment:

Jewel said...

I love this. You are such a humble, wonderful person, and I appreciate the way you talk about repentance as being an opportunity rather than being a guilt trip. This is something I'm STILL trying to learn-being grateful for opportunities to repent rather than being guilted by them.
I sure loved getting to see you so much this month, and I'm grateful to have such a close relationship with you!! You're wonderful.