Search This Blog

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Letter - My Birthday, Cool Quote about Joseph Smith

April 26, 2015

The month of April is already almost gone!  I can hardly believe it.  It has been a nice month.  April is one of my very favorite months because of my birthday!!  I love birthdays.  I’ll write about that a little later.

Saturday, the 18th we had a fun day.  Bryant had a basketball game at 8:00 in the morning.  Karalee had two friends from school come over to play later that morning.  The boys got to go have a “boy cousin family fun time” that afternoon at Brenda’s.  (The girl’s had a princess party earlier that week.)  After the boy’s fun time, we had a family BBQ.  Brenda rented a giant waterslide which was fun and we had yummy food.  Annalyn’s fiancé Tyler came and we got to visit with him again… Anna was there too.  J  They make a cute couple.  I’m looking forward to their wedding which will happen after Anna finishes her last semester at BYUI in August.  Until then they get to have a long distance relationship since Tyler lives here.  After the BBQ we had a pie party at Art’s home.  It was good to visit with him again.   
Chad took his assignment of making shave ice snow cones very seriously for the family BBQ.  He likes lots of variety when it comes to snow cone flavors. 

It was a fast water slide!!

Last Sunday Tilly gave a talk in Primary.  She did a good job.  Her subject was Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon by the gift and power of God, which is quite a mouthful for such a little sunbeam, but Chad helped her write a good little talk and she seemed to have fun giving it.  We had a wonderful youth fireside in our backyard that evening.  A couple in our ward shared their conversion story and the bishop shared a recent experience where he was prompted to contact a man he baptized on his mission and he was able to bring him comfort.  Each of the experiences shared bore witness to me that the Lord knows his children and that He will give promptings to those who will listen to help His children here on the earth.

Monday was my 36th birthday!!!  It was wonderful.  Chad worked from home that morning so I scheduled a ½ hour massage for myself while he watched the girls.  I had credit at the chiropractor office where there is also a masseuse because of a missed visit so the massage didn’t even cost me anything extra.  Then after Marlee went to kindergarten, Tilly and I went to lunch with several of my friends.  My friend Kristen had asked me several days before my birthday if she could set up a lunch date for me with our friends.  It was so nice of her.  We went to Joe’s farmhouse grill.  It was delicious as always.  I am lucky to live amongst so many wonderful, kind, fun people.  Later that afternoon Spencer had a soccer game.  Then when Chad got off work, our whole family went out to eat at Moreno’s Mexican Grill which also counted as our FHE.  Then we came home and ate the ice cream cake Heather made for me.  It was a nice day!  I really appreciated the many nice texts and Facebook well wishes that people sent me.  It meant a lot to me to be remembered. 



The presents Chad ordered for me didn't come in time so he made this game for me to unscramble what my gifts were. 
Tuesday morning Marlee, Tilly and I went to visit Puring before we went shopping at Walmart to get stuff for mutual.  Puring was hospitalized again last Sunday evening because she couldn’t breathe very well.  She is back home again now and feeling better.  She still hasn’t been able to go to church with us since she broke her leg though.  I hope she’ll get to go again with us.  After I dropped Marlee’s at school around noon I met my sisters who live in this area at Zupa’s for another birthday lunch that Amy set up for me.  I missed Jennifer Marie and Kami, but understand that they are busy and couldn’t make it.  Hopefully they’ll be able to make it to the next birthday lunch.  Thank you Amy for setting that up for me!!  That evening for mutual, Brenda came and taught my laurels about vision boards and helped each of them make one.  When Bishop Taylor saw the girls making them and I explained what we were doing he said, “it makes sense, you have to create something spiritually before you can create it physically.”  Chad and I went back to the church to play volleyball with a few friends just minutes after I got home from mutual.

Bryant wrote this poem on Tuesday.  I think it is great.
Wednesday I registered Bryant, Karalee and Marlee for school next year at the Ben Franklin grade school while the little girls were at Grammy Days.  Then I went to the dentist.

Thursday my new visiting teachers, Jenny Reed and Kathy Walker, came to visit me.  It was nice to be visited again.  I haven’t had a visit for a while.  Spencer had a soccer game that afternoon, Bryant had basketball practice and we made individual homemade pizzas for dinner.  I missed my niece Keesa’s graduation party since I got started so late on dinner.  I heard it was really cute though.  So I was sorry I missed it.  Congrats on finished your nursing degree Keesa!  That’s wonderful.

Tilly wanted a turn to help make pizzas too.
Friday Chad took the day off work partly for my birthday, and partly so he could take the boys to fathers and sons early that afternoon instead of waiting until he got off work.  Chad and I took turns doing initiatories at the temple that morning and then my friend Chelsea watched my girls while Chad and I went to top golf.  Top golf is FUN.  We shared a yummy appetizer for lunch while we golfed.  The girls and I had a fun girls night while the boys were away.  We were invited to go swimming at the Trogan’s, then we went out to eat at chick-fil-a, then decided at the last minute to get a redbox movie and treats at Walmart instead of going to the movie theater.  I was sure glad we made that decision because on the way home from Walmart Tilly threw up a LOT.  I’m glad I didn’t have to deal with that at the theater.  We came home and got things all cleaned up and Tilly went to bed early while the older girls and I watched the movie.  I pulled out my sewing machine during the movie and fixed up some holes in Tilly’s booster seat cover when it finished getting washed.  I was pretty proud of myself for being able to fix it instead of buying a new one.  Poor Tilly is still feeling a little sick, but is improving. 




Yesterday I had camp kickoff all morning.  Thankfully Brenda watched my girls and got Marlee to her dress rehearsal.  Yesterday afternoon we relaxed around the house and the kids played with the neighbors.  During the evening we went to Marlee’s Gilbert Youth Choir concert.  I was really impressed with the concert.  My friend Riki started the choir and she is a very accomplished musician. 



 Today has been a nice relaxing Sunday.  I didn’t have any meetings!!!  Hooray.  I got to spend all morning with Chad and the kids and make a big breakfast.  Sadly that doesn’t happen much anymore.  Our sacrament and Sunday school were great.  Today I taught the laurel lesson about the importance of the first vision.  As I was preparing I found this wonderful quote about Joseph Smith in a talk by Elder Faust called The Magnificent Vision Near Palmyra
“In the account of that profound theophany, the instruction came from Jesus.  President Joseph Fielding Smith said:
‘I would like to call your attention to one little thing in the first vision of the Prophet Joseph Smith. It is very significant, and Joseph Smith did not know it. If he had been perpetrating a fraud, he would not have thought of it. You will recall in your reading that the Father and the Son appeared, and the Father introduced the Son and told the Prophet to hear the Son.
‘Now suppose the Prophet had come back from the woods and had said the Father and the Son appeared to him, and the Father said, ‘Joseph, what do you want?’ and when he asked the question and told him what he wanted, the Father had answered him; then we would know that the story of the Prophet could not be true.
‘All revelation comes through Jesus Christ. I have not time to go into the scriptures and give references for that, but that is the fact.’ (Answers to Gospel Questions, 5 vols., Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1957–66, 1:16.)” 
I was so excited to learn this and to share it with my laurel’s class.  In gospel doctrine we learned that there were four times that Heavenly Father appeared or spoke to the earth—The Savior’s baptism, when Jesus was Transfigured (see Matthew 17), when Jesus appeared to the Nephites, and at Joseph Smith’s first vision.  Each time he introduced Jesus as his son and asked us to hear him.  Pretty cool.

Like Marlee's earrings?
Tilly wants me to hold her a lot while she is sick.  I held her while I was writing this letter.
Love,
Mindy

  


No comments: