Search This Blog

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Letter - sick, trip to CA, make yourself mind yourself

October 23, 2016

I have been sick for the last two weeks.  I never had a fever so I didn’t go into the doctor.  I’m not sure they could have done anything for me anyway.   I had congestion that turned into a bad cough that would give me a headache and leave me tired at the end of each day.  It’s been exhausting, more mentally than physically.  I am tired of being sick and tired!  I’m mostly better now, except for a little bit of a lingering cough.  I mostly cough when I lay down to go to bed at night.  It isn’t so bad that it makes my head hurt anymore though. 

Last week Oct. 13th – 16th my three girls and I spent the end of their fall break in California for my niece Jaki’s baptism and my niece Carli’s baby blessing.  They are my sister Kayla’s daughters.  We drove over on Thursday with my Mom in her nice Jeep Grand Cherokee.  After we arrived in town and checked into our hotel, we went over to Kayla’s and she fed us dinner.  We didn’t stay and visit too long since Kayla’s kids had to go to school the next day. 

On Friday the 14th Tilly got to go to Natalie’s kindergarten class to be Natalie’s show and tell since Natalie was student of the week and was able to share something with the class each day!  Tilly was so excited.  That afternoon after Kayla’s kids got out of school, I took my girls and Kayla’s older girls to the beach while she and my Mom took Carli and Colt to a doctor’s appointment.  We had a nice time at the beach and there were only a handful of people with us at the beach.  I didn’t even touch the water since I was suffering with a bad cold and didn’t want it to get worse by getting in the cold water.  Karalee, Rachel and Jaki didn’t mind the cold water one bit and they went boogie boarding and had a great time.  Marlee, Tilly and Natalie mostly built sand castles, but they got in the water up to their waist from time to time.

Saturday morning we watched Natalie and Jaki’s soccer games.  That afternoon we attended Jaki’s baptism.  It was very nice.  That evening we drove to Fontana, CA about an hour away to watch Jordan, my niece Shelby’s husband, dance with the BYU Ballroom Dance team.  He is on the Latin Dance team.  Shelby is on the tech crew.  They were touring southern California, putting on shows for about a week.  They put on a wonderful show.  My girls, Mom and I LOVED it!! 

Sunday morning we attended Jeff and Kayla’s ward and were able to listen to the beautiful blessing Jeff gave Carli.  I have attended their ward a few times and love the people in their ward.  They have a strong ward.  After the block of meetings we ate a nice taco salad lunch at Jeff and Kayla’s and then headed for home.  We got stuck in some traffic near west phoenix and so we got home later than I had hoped, but all in all it was a great trip except for the fact that I was suffering from a terrible cold and was self-conscious about all the coughing and nose blowing I did.  When I got home I asked Chad if we could not drive any more long distances for a while.  After our AZ/UT road trip and this drive to CA I’m all drived out!

Chad and I weren’t reunited for very long.  He had to fly out to Orlando on Monday morning.  He had business meetings and didn’t get home until Wednesday night.  Monday afternoon I had my normal chiropractor appointment and it brought me some relief from my cough and cold.

Tuesday night I had pack meeting so most of the day was spent preparing for it.  The theme for this month’s pack meeting is Creepy Crawlers so for a gathering activity I had the boys make an ant out of marshmallows, straight pretzels and m&m’s.  It was a big hit!

Wednesday evening I took dinner to my friend Susan Griffith who I also visit teach.  She is going through chemo therapy for throat cancer.  She had thyroid cancer last year and it was successfully treated, but now it has come back to her throat.  I hope her treatments are successful.  She caught it early so she has a good chance.  I don’t like cancer.

Thursday Chad and I were able to attend the temple together for Stake Temple Day while Tilly was at preschool and he was on his lunch break.  We did a sealing session.  It was nice to go together!

Friday I scalped the rest of our lawn, Spencer did 1/3 of it on Thursday night.  I don’t like scalping the lawn anymore, but Chad couldn’t do it this weekend because he had a camporee with Bryant and the scouts right after work that day and we’ve waited so late to do it this year I didn’t dare wait another week.  Hopefully next year Chad or the boys will scalp it all or we will hire someone to do it for us.  Friday evening I spread out all the seed and set the timer to water the lawn 4 times a day to keep the seeds wet so they’ll grow.  I hope by this time next week we will see lots of green grass shoots growing in our lawn.  I do love nice rye winter grass.  All the work of reseeding is definitely worth it.   

Saturday morning the girls and I went to a big, fun tri-stake preparedness fair.  They had several booths to learn different ways to be prepared and also carnival games for the kids and a pancake breakfast.  Spencer went to a ward service project that morning.--It was 12 and up or the girls and I would have gone too.--Chad and Bryant were at the Camporee I mentioned earlier.  After that we watched Karalee’s soccer game.  Karalee scored a goal on a penalty kick! …Or at least I thought she did until the end of the game when she told me it didn’t count because it was supposed to be an indirect penalty kick and she kicked it through all the players and it didn’t touch anyone.  I didn’t even know there was such a thing as direct and indirect penalty kicks!  I keep learning more about soccer and I love watching my kids play it.

Chad got home from the camporee around 1:30pm.  He had to leave early to be home for our stake conference priesthood leadership session.  He and I went to the adult 7:00pm session.  I played the organ.  I miss playing the organ each week.  After conference several couples met at a nearby restaurant for a late dinner.  It was a lot of fun.  We are so lucky to have such good friends in our ward and stake. 

Today I had to decide between going to my nephew Jake’s mission report or going to stake conference to see what counsel our stake presidency had for us.  Since we were able to attend to Jake’s luncheon today we decided to go to stake conference.  Conference was wonderful and I learned some great things.  Our stake president gave us 4 priorities he feels we need to work on:
1.      Family History
2.      Serving others
3.      Gathering Israel – Missionary work
4.      Being more temporally and spiritually self reliant
I wish I could have cloned myself so I could have heard Jake’s talk and attended stake conference too, especially since my sister-in-law Jennifer also spoke with Jake.  Luckily she sent me her talk and I got to read about her conversion story!  It was nice to visit with Jake and many family members at Jake’s luncheon.  It was held in Wynn and Kami’s neighbor’s beautiful back yard.  It had a very nice pool and Karalee wished she could go swimming in it.  She got her wish when my brother Tyler threw her in!  It was all in fun and she didn’t cry, which tells me she’s ok with it.  However, we’re helping her plot her revenge now so you better watch out Tyler!  Tithing settlement, a nap, a biscuit and gravy dinner, and a dessert and game night at Heather and Elliot’s filled up the rest of today, making a nice Sabbath day.

My quote for today is from a comment made in relief society last week when I was visiting Kayla’s ward in Huntington Beach.  “Make yourself mind yourself.  Sometimes your spirit and your body are at conflict and your spirit has to give your body a lecture.  Make your body mind your spirit.”

Love,

Mindy  

No comments: