Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Branding Cows

Over Memorial Day weekend, my family got together to brand our calves. It was a lot of fun. We had around 40 calves so the branding didn't take very long. I remember when I was growing up and the ranch was big as soon as school was out we would brand at all the different ranch locations and there would be 100+ calves to brand at each location. Those were long, character building days.

Watching the action

Tori giving a vaccination.
That was my job when I was younger, can you picture me as a young girl giving shots? Most of the time I was scared I wouldn't get the shot in the right spot and then I would break a needle and get yelled at.


Tyler is de-horning. (cutting the horns out)
Crystal and Rend are putting the F-bar brand on the calf.

Doug just pushed another calf through the chute.

Rocky mountain oyster anyone?

Who ya gonna call? ... Ghostbusters
(Crystal getting ready to put spot-on the calf. It keeps the flys away)

Amy taking a turn branding.

Reggie pushing a calf through the chute. That little thing didn't stand a chance against big Reg.

This is Chester. I wanted to get a good picture of him before he leaves us. He is getting really old and has a hard time getting around. I will miss him, he is one of my favorite horses that we have ever had on the ranch.


Here are a couple pictures of Spencer riding around on Chester.


Travis and Trevin

Bryant riding with his Uncle Brandon

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Great pics...good memories...

Michelle Johnston said...

WOW! It looks SOOOO dry! Our ancestors were AMAZING to try to cowboy in the dessert:) Looks like you guys had plenty of help:) Wish we were there. I dont think my kids have ever been branding! Sad!

Kyle&Tonya said...

Wow, that was kinda fun to see...I've never thought of how branding was actually done. SOOO fun to see Kari's pregnant belly in one of those pics! and Kayla being thrown in the drinker! LOL! :)

Deanne said...

When did Kari get married. I about flip seeing her pregnant. She was always to young one. Time flies. When it looks like your family still knows what their doing and passing it on to the next generation.