Search This Blog

Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Neck Brace

I had an accident on Friday July 17th. I was participating in the annual Flake family rodeo. My sister's and I were competing in the keg race (it's kind of like musical chairs on horses) and as I pulling myself up to get on the horse the horse moved and her movement combined with my momentum made me flip over the top of the horse and I landed on my shoulder and head.

Chad drove me to Show Low hospital to get checked out and a cat scan showed I had a broken neck so I was flown to Good Samaritan Hospital in Phoenix. I stayed there over night and most the next day. They re-did all the ex-rays and did more cat scans and the results show that I have a broken neck and a broken leg (femur). Although yesterday I saw a orthopedic surgeon and they aren't sure if my leg is broken. I have to have an MRI next Wednesday to see if they can figure out what is wrong with it.

My neck doesn't hurt very much. I have a neck brace that I will be wearing for 4 1/2 more weeks. My leg hurts only sometimes when I twist it the wrong way or something, I can walk a little bit, but it is slow so for now I am using a wheel chair to get around the house.

Here are a few pictures of me in my neck brace for posterity's sake.

As Grandpa Angle put it "a wheel chair, neck brace and a nursing baby is plenty to write in your journal about."

Karalee wanted to have a pillow under her legs while she fell asleep like me.

I am glad I can sit up for longer periods of time now. I am also so thankful for the internet. I feel like I can stay a little connected with people even though I can't drive and get out of the house until my brace comes off.

5 comments:

Tairi said...

Oh my goodness Mindy! I am so glad you are ok. Look at you in a neck brace nursing Marlee! What do you need? I am sure taking care of 4 kids is so hard. Has their school started yet? Can I come and pick up your boys so they can play here? What day can I bring you dinner. Seriously. I need your phone number. E-mail me. Let me know. I dont even think I have your e-mail. tairistewart@msn.com

Melis said...

I'm so glad you are doing a little better Mindy! Sorry you have to stay home for so long. Hang in there.

K Bailey said...

Oh Mindy that's awful!!!! How was the helicopter ride? I can't remember anything from when I went in one...except for the noise of it. I think I would flip out if I had to wear a neck brace. I hope you have a very speedy recovery!

Deanne said...

That just really stinks!

Kyle&Tonya said...

Oh I'm so sorry for you! Geez that would be hard! I hope you're doing better now...you Flake's are just too crazy! :)