Search This Blog

Monday, July 19, 2010

California

Last Thursday my Mom, Spencer, Bryant, Karalee, and I headed over to Huntington Beach, CA to visit Kayla and Jeff in their new home. Chad wasn't able to come because he needed to work and I decided to leave Marlee because she doesn't like to ride in the car much and we were in the car a lot. Thank you Amy for watching Marlee while Chad was at work.

The trip started out kind of rocky. On my way to drop Marlee off at Amy's house I ran out of gas on the freeway. My van still showed that I had 1/8 of a tank left, I guess my gas gauge is broken. Thank you Shannon for coming to our rescue with a little gas. After being stranded, I asked my Mom if we could take her car on the trip instead of our van because her car is pretty new and ours has over 100,000 miles on it. I didn't want to be stranded in the desert again.

Since we got a late start when we got to California we had to wade through rush hour traffic so it took us 7+ hours to make it to Kayla's house. When we got there they had made us a yummy dinner and took us to go see Newport Beach and to walk on the pier.

Friday we met up with my brother Doug's family, who were on vacation to Disneyland, for a beach day. We loaded up in their big van and spent a fabulous day at the beach. It was SO much fun. We stayed for about 5 hours. Then we all went to get cleaned up and met at Marie Calendars for dinner.

Saturday morning we got packed up and headed for home. It only took about 6 hours to make it back. It was a short trip, but well worth it. We hope we can go visit again in Sept. when the water will still be warm enough to swim and when Disneyland won't be so crowded.

I didn't even feel too worried about leaving Marlee this time, probably because I knew Chad would be with her at night so she wouldn't feel completely abandoned. Plus, I know she had a lot more fun playing at Amy's house than she would have spending 13+ hours in the car. Here are the pictures of our trip.

A little glimpse of our car ride, Karalee happened to be throwing a fit at the time. Such is life with a three year old.

Getting our feet wet





Having fun with Aunt Kayla and Jaki

Karalee and Rachel, BFF

Spencer found a starfish near the sidewalk

Beach Day!!



Testing out the waters

Taking Spencer out to teach him how to body surf



Kayla, Mom, Lindsay, Spencer and I think that is Trevor in the water

Happy smiles for everyone



The waves were pretty big, but Mom has still got it. However, we realized later that she sadly lost her mother's ring while riding the waves.

Spencer coming in on a wave

I'm not sure what was so exciting
Kayla's new look


The group

2 comments:

Anna said...

Looks like fun. Love the beach!

Jewel said...

Oh, I miss the beach. Looks like you guys had a blast there, though-and it was fun getting to see you (for just a couple minutes) at the 24th celebration!!!