Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Be Believing


September 3, 2014
In the first few verses of 1 Nephi 4, Nephi recorded an experience he had with his brothers where he was giving them a pep talk because they had expressed doubt that the Lord could deliver Laban into their hands.  Even after they had seen an angel, they still doubted.  Verse 3 particularly stood out to me, it says, “Now behold ye know that this is true; and ye also know that an angel hath spoken unto you; wherefore can ye doubt?  Let us go up; the Lord is able to deliver us, even as our fathers, and to destroy Laban, even as the Egyptians.”

The belief that the Lord could deliver him, made all the difference in Nephi’s life.  He Believed!  He was believing.  Or in other words, he had faith.  I know that the Lord can deliver me!  I know he can deliver you too!!

Part of what helped Nephi to have that faith is the fact that he REMEMBERED his fathers.  Knowing about our heritage can make a big difference in our lives.  It has made a difference in my life.  Reading about my great grandparents who joined the church even thought they were persecuted and learning that they stayed true to their faith even when things were hard gives me strength.  It helps me to believe, to be believing, to have faith.  I want to be like Nephi!!

This is my Great Grandmother, Gerda Alma Reinholdson Hendrickson.  She was the only member of her family to join the church.  Her mother did not like the Mormons and disowned her.  Her mother told her brother to begin introducing her around town as a harlot.  One day her brother went to her apartment and pointed a gun to her head and told her to deny her faith.  She said, "You may take my life, but never my faith."  If my Grandma could be faithful, so can I!!


No comments: