Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

I Think The Lord is Trying to Teach Me Something

  Today in our family study Chad taught us about how Christ used parables to teach and then Chad shared the parable of the laborers and used excerpts from Elder Holland’s talk, The Laborers in the Vinyard.  A few minutes later while I was walking on the treadmill, I listened to some talks to prepare for my upcoming lesson to the young women in my ward.  One of those talks was The Challenge to Become by Elder Oaks. (Which is a FABULOUS talk by the way). In his talk he too talked about the parable of the laborers.  He have a wonderful explanation. He said,

"Like other parables, this one can teach several different and valuable principles. For present purposes its lesson is that the Master’s reward in the Final Judgment will not be based on how long we have labored in the vineyard. We do not obtain our heavenly reward by punching a time clock. What is essential is that our labors in the workplace of the Lord have caused us to become something. For some of us, this requires a longer time than for others. What is important in the end is what we have become by our labors. Many who come in the eleventh hour have been refined and prepared by the Lord in ways other than formal employment in the vineyard. These workers are like the prepared dry mix to which it is only necessary to “add water”—the perfecting ordinance of baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost. With that addition—even in the eleventh hour—these workers are in the same state of development and qualified to receive the same reward as those who have labored long in the vineyard."
"This parable teaches us that we should never give up hope and loving associations with family members and friends whose fine qualities (see Moro. 7:5–14) evidence their progress toward what a loving Father would have them become. Similarly, the power of the Atonement and the principle of repentance show that we should never give up on loved ones who now seem to be making many wrong choices."
Then this parable was brought to my mind a THIRD time later this morning when I was doing sealings in the temple. When deceased people are sealed to their parents or to their spouses they get the same blessing as those of us who were born in the covenant and who have tried to live right all our lives. It's interesting that when it comes to the blessings of the temple I don't think we ever feel slighted that people who have passed on get the same blessings as those who've been members their whole life. I think most who serve in the temple only feel joy to have helped bring them the opportunity to get those blessing.  
Heavenly Father loves me. I think he is trying to teach me that he also loves all the rest of his children--my siblings, my neighbors, the guy who cut me off, the lady who works at the grocery store, those who have different political view than me, etc. He wants me to be happy when they are happy. He wants me to mourn we they mourn. He wants me to bear their burdens when they are heavy laden. He wants me to do good to those who hurt me.  He doesn't want me to give up on others.  He wants me to love as he loves--to have Charity.  I need to apply the feelings of happiness I feel for others when I serve in the temple to other relationships and aspects of my life.   

1 comment:

Jewel said...

What a powerful message to learn, Mindy--I appreciate so much you sharing it.

I love it when Heavenly Father does that for me; He'll put a message on repeat over and over until I get it. (Sometimes I have to get the same message many many times before I understand!) :)