Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Letter - Fall Break, Rocky Point, Magnum Opus, Phoenix Temple Open House

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Dear Family and Friends,

Today is the last day of Fall Break.  My kids have all finished there chores and are in watching Monster’s Inc. as I type this.  We’ve had a wonderful break.

We started last week out getting ready for our trip to Mexico.  On Monday I did some shopping for our vacation meals and snacks.  Tuesday we packed and got everything ready to leave.  Karalee got to go play at her friend Sammy’s house most of the day.  I had the laurels come over for mutual and we did indexing since we are in competition with the young men.

Wednesday we left for Rocky Point in a rain storm.  Our drive was a little more adventurous because of several washes that ran across the road, but they weren’t too deep and we were able to cross each one if we slowed down enough.  The storm cleared as we neared Mexico and the sun came out once we got there and we were able to play on the beach.  We had a lot of fun on our vacation.  Some highlights are learning how to paddleboard--It was SO MUCH FUN!!; finding and catching a starfish while snorkeling; catching a big blue crab; visiting, playing, and eating dinner each night with our friends who vacationed with us; seeing lots of sting rays--Chad found a 3 ft. skinny tent pole and would poke them to get them to move.  I do not think that was a very smart idea.  He says it’s fine.  We got home from our vacation on Saturday afternoon.  We felt very safe while in Mexico and had no trouble. 

Wednesday night we drove into town to eat out for dinner.  We stopped to get some street tacos, at a little taco stand.  It was set up in the dirt and had large picnic tables.  I was a little nervous eating there and I asked Chad who would take care of us if we all got sick from the food.  He assured me that he was immune from getting sick because of his mission experiences.  It turns out that none of us got sick.  The tacos and quesadillas were AMAZING!  This picture is Chad ordering our dinner in Spanish.


Beach FUN!!








Marlee and her little Mexican friend.  Just kidding, it's Karalee. She got really tan.
Bryant

 I caught Bryant just as he started to dive for a shell!  Ha ha.
Chad and Spencer spent a lot of time snorkeling together.  Bryant snorkeled with them a lot too, but he liked to stay closer to shore when they went way out.

I caught Chad with a funny look as he tried to get the salt water off his face!
Bryant, Chad and Spencer snorkeling
There were lots of little fish
In this picture you can see Chad about to poke that sting ray with the pole.  He's crazy... I love him.
A sting ray

One pretty little bright blue fish

Karalee trying on a cute pink hat at the dirt mall in Mexico.
Saturday night Chad and I went to go see “Meet the Mormons” for our date night.  I thought it was great.

Sunday I taught the lesson to our ward’s young women that I’ve been worrying about for the last month or so.  I feel like it is “my magnum opus, my great work” for this month.  (Charlotte’s Web)  If you are interested, you can read my lesson plan on my blog.  Sunday afternoon we drove over to my sister Celeste’s home for a family dinner.  Her daughter Shelby had her homecoming report in their ward, but since I had to teach we missed her report.  I’m glad we got to go to the dinner to visit though.  It was fun to see pictures of Celeste’s, Jeff’s, and Cooper’s trip to Brazil when they picked Shelby up.

Since Chad still had another day off yesterday, we dressed up nicely and took a family outing over to Glendale to the Phoenix Temple open house.  It is a beautiful temple.  I really felt the spirit strongly in the Celestial room and in the sealing rooms.  I can always feel the closest to heaven in those rooms.


This morning Brenda had a special fall break Grammy Days at Peter Piper Pizza.  We had so much fun.  I love watching my kids play with their cousins.

In Pres. Uchtdorf’s recent talk in Woman’s conference he shared a quote that really explains Charity and how God loves us.  He said, “God loves you this very day and always.  He is not waiting to love you until you have overcome your weaknesses and bad habits.  He loves you today with a full understanding of your struggles. … He loves you for extending yourself to others.  He loves you for reaching out and helping others bear their heavy burdens—even when you are struggling with your own.  He knows everything about you.  He sees you clearly—He knows you as you really are.  And He loves you—today and always!  Do you suppose it matters to our Heavenly Father whether your makeup, clothes, hair and nails are perfect?  … Do you think outward attractiveness, your dress size, or popularity make the slightest difference in your worth to the One who created the universe?  He loves you not only for who you are this very day but also for the person of glory and light you have the potential and the desire to become” (Living the Gospel Joyful).  Isn’t it wonderful how God loves us?  God wants me to love others in that same way.

Love,
Mindy

P.S.  Here are some before and after pictures from when I cut Karalee's hair a couple of weeks ago.





   

No comments: