Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

My Testimony of the prophet Joseph Smith

Nov. 12, 2014

There has been a lot of talk and news about this article recently published by the church regarding Joseph Smith and plural marriage: https://www.lds.org/topics/plural-marriage-in-kirtland-and-nauvoo?lang=eng

I read the article and a lot of the information in it was new to me. I always kind of figured Joseph Smith probably practiced plural marriage but did not know there were "eternity only" sealings or that he was sealed to women who were already married. However, the article does not shake my faith regarding his validity as a prophet. I do not think he ever led the church astray. I feel he was doing his best to implement and live a very difficult commandment.

I love that in the most recent general conference, before these articles were released, we were given a challenge by Elder Andersen to find out whether or not Joseph Smith truly was a prophet:

"To the youth listening today or reading these words in the days ahead, I give a specific challenge: Gain a personal witness of the Prophet Joseph Smith. Let your voice help fulfill Moroni’s prophetic words to speak good of the Prophet. Here are two ideas: First, find scriptures in the Book of Mormon that you feel and know are absolutely true. Then share them with family and friends in family home evening, seminary, and your Young Men and Young Women classes, acknowledging that Joseph was an instrument in God’s hands. Next, read the testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith in the Pearl of Great Price or in this pamphlet, now in 158 languages. You can find it online at LDS.org or with the missionaries. This is Joseph’s own testimony of what actually occurred. Read it often. Consider recording the testimony of Joseph Smith in your own voice, listening to it regularly, and sharing it with friends. Listening to the Prophet’s testimony in your own voice will help bring the witness you seek" (https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2014/10/joseph-smith?lang=eng)

I know that Joseph Smith restored the Church of Jesus Christ. I know he translated the Book of Mormon and that it is the world's most correct book. I have read it several times. I have put into practice the teachings contained in it, and they have brought me joy and peace. Even though I don't feel like my faith has been shaken, I plan to take the challenge given by Elder Andersen. I know that when you accept a challenge or counsel from the Lord's Apostles and prophets you will be blessed greater than you can even imagine. If your faith in the prophet Joseph Smith has been shaken, or if you've never gained a witness that Joseph Smith was a prophet, or even if your faith is strong, take Elder Andersen's challenge. Find out for yourself. I know it will bless your life.


-Mindy F. Sanders

No comments: