Search This Blog

Sunday, November 16, 2014

The Covenant Path to Come Unto Christ - Young Women in Excellence

Tonight I help put on our ward's young women in excellence.  It turned out really nice.  Our theme was "The Covenant Path to Come Unto Christ".  We had set up a path that led to the temple and the Savior decorated with mini Christmas trees to make it look like a path in the forest.  Then for dessert we had a trail mix bar with a several non-traditional items for a trail mix.  We also made the girls a picture of Christ with their name to take home and as a name tag to mark the items being displayed.  I am not much for decorating so thank goodness for counselors and advisers who can help me out with that!!  I thought it was a wonderful evening and that the spirit was present.  Here are a few pictures of the decorations.

One of our yw advisers had access to this giant canvas of the Gilbert temple.

Our covenant path


The sign says, "make your own trail mix for your journey".  Item for the trail mix were:  Golden Graham cereal, mini marshmallow, frosted cheerios, goldfish crackers, white chocolate covered pretzels, regular pretzels, m&m's, peanut butter chips, granola, and  raisins.

Tables where the girls displayed the things they worked on in personal progress this year.


Our program
   
Here's my talk that I gave.  

Talk for Young Women in Excellence – November 16, 2014

Welcome to Young Women in Excellence!!  Tonight is a celebration of Personal Progress.  Our theme for the evening is The Covenant Path to Come unto Christ.  Along with leading us back to Christ, covenants gather us into the Lord’s kingdom.  They also bring us wonderful blessings.  Sister Jean A. Stevens said, “Covenants with God help us to know who we really are.  They connect us to Him in a personal way through which we come to feel our value in His sight and our place in His kingdom.  His desire is that we will choose the path that will bring us home to Him” (Covenant Daughters of God).  I love that, we will know who we are and feel valued as we make covenants.

Each of you young women started on the covenant path when you were baptized.  Sister Stevens goes on to say, “As essential and significant as the covenant of baptism is, it is only the beginning—the gate that puts us on the path to eternal life.  Ahead on our journey are temple covenants to be made and priesthood ordinances to receive. … ‘As we stand in the waters of baptism, we look to the temple’” (Covenant Daughters of God).  Baptism is the starting point on our covenant path.  It leads us to the temple where we can receive our endowments and be married to our spouse for time and all eternity.  Prayer, scriptures study, and personal progress are tools that will help us stay on the covenant path.  I would like to talk a little bit about personal progress since that is your current point on the covenant path.

I love personal progress because it helps you young women work on specific goals that keep you on the covenant path.  In our recent stake conference Pres. Derek talked a lot about making sure that returned missionaries stay anxiously engaged on fertile ground.  I think it is also important for you young women cultivate fertile ground and avoid barren ground.  Personal progress = fertile ground.  It will prepare you for the rigors of college life, the blessings of the temple, a mission if you so choose, marriage and motherhood. 

Personal progress takes away the curse of idleness from your lives.  It is ok to have some “downtime”, but it would be good if you young women could prayerfully counsel with the Lord and with your parents to set some personal limits on how much time you spend on “downtime” activities.  Then after you've set some limits you will be able to use the time that has opened up to set, work on and accomplish specific goals to improve yourself.  When you set a specific goal with a deadline it will improve your chances for success.  It will bless your lives.  It will keep your feet planted on the covenant path. 

I would like to share a personal example of how I set a specific goal this year and how it has blessed my life.  Since we have a temple so close now, I made a specific goal regarding the number of times I wanted to attend the temple this year.  In order to make sure I could achieve this goal, I wrote down my goal and placed it in an area where I would see it often.  I also figured out how many times I would need to go each month and I have kept track of my progress.  Going to the temple more often has blessed my life in ways that I have never imagined.  I feel greater confidence before the Lord.  I feel guidance and peace in my life more strongly than before.  I have learned more about the ordinances, sealings and blessings in the temple in this year than I have in the other 13 years that I’ve been endowed combined. Plus, now two of the sealers in the temple have become like Grandpa’s to me.  They ask about my family, they love and care and look out for me.  The temple has brought the power of God into my life in a way that can’t be denied.  I want these same blessings for each of you young women and your families.  They can be yours.  I hope you will stay on the covenant path that leads to the temple.  It is worth any sacrifice.  


I love each of you young women.  I’m excited to be a part of your special evening and to see the things you’ve accomplished this year.  In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments: