Search This Blog

Sunday, July 5, 2015

Letter from June 21st - feeling the love of the Lord, what it takes to teach faith

June 21, 2015 

Happy Father’s day!  I am thankful for my wonderful Dad and wished I could give him a hug today.  I am thankful for the things he taught me and for the wonderful home and childhood he and my mom gave me.  I got to see my dear Father-in-law tonight and give him a hug so that was very nice.  I am thankful for Art and for his positive influence in my life and in the lives of Chad and my children.  He is a talented man and fun to be around.  I am especially grateful to celebrate Chad’s role as a father to our children today.  He loves being a father and is a wonderful father.  Also happy birthday to my big brother Brandon today, I am thankful to be his sister.  

I forgot to report a couple of things worth mentioning in my last letter.  Chad and the girls had a big ward Daddy Daughter outing on May 30th.  It was put on by the Elders quorum and since Chad is in our EQ presidency he helped out a lot with it.  They had the activity at Bartlett Lake.  They had horseback riding, several kayaks, and 3 speed boats for wake boarding or tubing.  I think they might have had other activities too, but I don’t remember them.  Our EQ President thinks big.  He is a wonderful blessing to our ward.  Our girls had a wonderful time.  They especially loved the kayaks.  All the girls and young women had a good time and they felt good that they got to have a special ward activity just for them.  I think they plan on keeping it a yearly tradition like fathers and sons. 

The second thing I failed to mention was an experience I had when I got to go with our ward youth to serve at the Randolph House on Sunday, June 7th.  The Randolph House is a state run facility for special need adults.  Fifty two stakes around the valley area take turns providing a worship service for the celestial individuals at the Randolph house each Sunday.  Usually each stake gets the opportunity to go once every four years or so.  (However, there was a special need this summer and our stake gets to go again in August.)  The worship service we help give them is like a big primary.  The individuals have lived at the Randolph house their whole lives.  They are all 40 years old or older now.  It is such a wonderful experience to go serve there.  We get way more from the individuals there than we give to them.  While I was there I was asked to help with a lady named Judy.  She was in a group that doesn’t like to have youth helpers.  When I met Judy one of the first things that I said to her as we were walking into the building was, “I love you.”  She stopped, looked directly into my eyes and said, “I love you too.”  It was a very special experience.  I felt as if it were the Savior telling me He loved me.  This all happened a few days before my miscarriage.  A few days after that, I realized how the Lord was showing His love for me that day to help me through that trying week.  I was promised in my patriarchal blessing that in times of challenges I would be able to sense the love my Father in Heaven has for me, know that he knows me by name, knows what I need and stands ready to bless me with every needful blessing.  That promise has been fulfilled in my life so far and I feel confident that it will continue to be fulfilled as long as I am faithful.  I feel like that as Heavenly Father has taught me and molded me and shaped me He has been right there with me through all the joy and pain.

This last week and a half have gone well.  Friday June 12th I went to lunch with a few friends for my friend Chelsea’s birthday.  Later that afternoon my nephew Porter came over and I helped him make cinnamon rolls so he could sell them to earn money for scout camp.  I was glad Macaia and Collin came too and that we were able to visit while we baked.  I love them. 

Saturday the 13th and Thursday the 18th I helped some of my young women make cinnamon rolls so they could sell them for Father’s Day breakfasts to make money for girl’s camp. 

This week has been pretty low key.  I ordered Chad’s Father’s Day gift on Monday.  He had already bought a Kayak for our camping trip which counted as his Father’s Day gift, but I decided to get him some casual shorts that he’s been wanting too.  Later that morning I took the kids to Makutu’s Island, an indoor play place.  It was free with our Pogo Pass.  Tuesday I had an appointment with my OB/GYN to make sure everything was back to normal after my miscarriage.  Everything looked good so I was given permission to start swimming again which made my kids very happy.  (When I told all the kids about my miscarriage they were so understanding that I had to take it easy and that I had some restrictions like no swimming.  They were extra nice to me all week.)  We have gone swimming every day since the doctor gave me a good report.  We are so lucky to have several friends who let us go swim any time we want.    

Last Sunday I worked on Faith #2 in personal progress.  I started a discussion on Facebook to “discuss the qualities a woman needs in order to teach children to have faith and to base their decisions on gospel truths.”  These are the points from that discussion: 
  • A women needs to do her best to know and apply the gospel of Jesus Christ in all situations and relationships in her life. She has to live and model what she is teaching. Children can quickly spot hypocrisy and will not give much credence to what is being taught. To teach a woman needs to show and speak about the joy that comes from a life of following Jesus. She needs to seek the Savior and continually seek to know Him by following Him.
  • I think it's important that when we make mistakes, which we will because we are not perfect, that we openly admit our mistakes and model the repentance process. In other words, it's important for kids to know their parents aren't perfect and that's ok because we are all I this road to perfection together.
  • Mostly I think the basic answers; prayers, scripture study, and listening for the Holy Ghost are how I base my decisions and remember my faith.
  • Follow the Prophet
  • First and foremost, a woman needs to gain a testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel. She needs to have unshakable faith in those truths. Then, she needs to do the things every day that will keep that testimony burning bright, like reading the scriptures and prayer. Sharing her testimony with her children will help them grow in the gospel and gain testimonies themselves.
  • Modeling the repentance process by being humble, showing love and asking for forgiveness is key. It is important to let those you teach know you are trying your best. Also granting forgiveness and showing love while others are going through the repentance process is essential.


What are your thoughts? 

I’ll close tonight with a quote I really liked from our gospel doctrine lesson last week.  “Elder Joe J. Christensen said: “There are those who wake up every morning dreading to go to school, or even to a Church activity, because they worry about how they will be treated. You have the power to change their lives for the better. … The Lord is counting on you to be a builder and give them a lift. Think less of yourself and more about the power you have to assist others, even those within your own family.”

Love,
Mindy


No comments: