Search This Blog

Sunday, November 1, 2015

Letter - Karalee's birthday, Recognizing the Hand of God

November 1, 2015

Today is Karalee’s 9th birthday!  I sure love my oldest daughter.  I just tucked her in and told her about her birth story and how much we love her in our family.  She is smart, beautiful, kind, spunky, strong willed, loves clothes and shoes, knows exactly how she wants her hair to look, diligent, a good worker, and loves to help me cook.  I’m so grateful I get to be her mother and I hope that she and I will have a good relationship forever. 

Monday I went to Zumba and then my visiting teachers came over.  Karalee gave us a nice FHE lesson and then the kids picked out Halloween costumes from our costume box for our activity.

Tuesday night was our Young Women in Excellence program.  The decorations and desserts were very simple and it didn’t take too long to set up during the day.  For the program we had each girl get up and either perform a talent or explain what she displayed from her personal progress efforts this year.  The girls ended up being the main focus of the evening.  After all the girls were finished we recognized all those who had earned value ribbons since new beginnings.  Several girls earned ribbons, two mothers earned ribbons, and even I earned three ribbons.  After the ribbons were all recognized or awarded the bishop awarded four YW and one mother of a YW their medallions for completing their young womanhood award then he had all of them get up in sacrament meeting today to be recognized in front of the whole ward.  It was fun to have so many young women finish at the same time and earn their award together.  The bishop finished the evening by giving closing remarks and he spoke of how important it is not to compare our talents or abilities with others.  It was a wonderful evening.  Probably the best YW activity I’ve helped plan.  We have wonderful, beautiful, talented young women.  I’m grateful to be a part of their lives.

Wednesday Tilly had Grammy days since Brenda was in town for a while and so I got to go to the temple.  That evening I had a meeting with a counselor in the bishopric and one of my counselors (the other counselor couldn’t make it) to discuss girl’s camp for next year.  This year we will be having a ward camp for the first time ever.  I’m very excited about this opportunity for the girls because we will be able to get to have a real camping experience and do many more adventurous things than you can do at a stake camp with 400 young women.  It is going to be a lot of work though.  Our ward is so awesome and so willing to help out so we will have lots of help to run the activities.  I’m hoping we can do kayaking, horseback riding, rifle shooting, a hike, a craft, rappelling and then have great devotionals and firesides to tie our activities to the gospel.

Thursday Spencer found out he made the 8th grade basketball team!  We’re excited to watch his games.  Bryant had a band concert that evening and he is doing well on the trumpet.  His band sounded great. 

Friday we had our ward Halloween extravaganza.  Chad’s strawberry lemonade, root beer and red cream soda were a big hit.  He made 16 gallons of soda and 4-5 gallons of lemonade and all but one gallon of the red cream soda were consumed.  The kids had a wonderful time playing games and trunk-or-treating.  I had a good time tasting all the different kinds of chili.  I made a new sweet and spicy chili combining two recipes and I thought it was wonderful, but it didn’t earn any awards.  It was all gone by the time the evening was over though so that was a good sign that people liked it.

Yesterday morning we had a big project in the back yard.  Our HOA notified us that we had to cut back all our cat claw vines growing on our back rail fence so they could paint it.  I was so sad because our vines are big and beautiful.  I asked what the fee was if we just didn’t want to get it painted, but they said if we didn’t take it down the painters would and we would be charged $1000.  L  I was kind of bummed, but we agreed to live by the HOA rules when we moved in and I sure appreciate living in a neighborhood where yards are maintained and there isn’t a lot of junk in people’s yards so I don’t feel too badly.  Plus the vines should grow back.  Yesterday evening the kids got to trick or treat again.  Since Chad couldn’t go around trick-or-treating with the little kid this year and since Spencer is too old to go trick or treating, we invited all the youth in our ward to come hang out and play in our back yard and a member of the ward set up his movie screen and sound system so they could watch “Watcher in the Woods”.  There were several youth who came.  The girls and I had fun trick-or-treating together and Bryant went trick-or-treating with a group of his friends.

Today during testimony meeting Bro. Fulton, our second counselor in the bishopric, shared how the spiritual thoughts in bishopric and PEC were about recognizing the hand of God in our lives.  That was something we challenged our laurels to look for this week and were going to follow up on in class today so I got up and shared my testimony and how I had noticed the hand of God yesterday when I was trying to mow the lawn.  It happened when I couldn’t start the lawn mower.  The last time I had used it was when I scalped the lawn so we could plant winter rye grass.  I didn’t take care of the lawn mower and so it was probably clogged up with a lot of dust and grass.  I cleaned out the filter on the side of the lawn mower, which is the only “repair” I know how to do, and it still wouldn’t start.  I tried pulling harder and harder to get it to start but I still didn’t have any luck.  Finally I said a prayer to be able to get it started and I had the thought to use the blower to blow all the dust out of the engine.  I tried that and it started right up.  It was really kind of just a little thing, but to me it was important because I wanted the lawn to look nice for Spencer’s party.  I know that the Lord prompted me to use the blower and that He knows me and He is aware of my big and my small needs.

My quote for today is from our gospel doctrine lesson today.  Elder Dallin H. Oaks said: “Consider the power of the idea taught in our beloved song ‘I Am a Child of God’ (Hymns, 301). … Here is the answer to one of life’s great questions, ‘Who am I?’ I am a child of God with a spirit lineage to heavenly parents. That parentage defines our eternal potential. That powerful idea is a potent antidepressant. It can strengthen each of us to make righteous choices and to seek the best that is within us. Establish in the mind of a young person the powerful idea that he or she is a child of God, and you have given self-respect and motivation to move against the problems of life” (in Conference Report, Oct. 1995, 31; or Ensign, Nov. 1995, 25).  I know this is true.  I am grateful for this knowledge.  It helps me move forward past the hard times and back into the good times.  This has been a great week.

Love,

Mindy

No comments: