Search This Blog

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Meal Planning - Personal Progress – Good Works Value Experience #2

February 11, 2016

Personal Progress – Good Works Value Experience #2 
Service is an essential principle of family living. Help plan your family’s menus, obtain the food, and prepare part of the meals for two weeks. During that time help your family gather to share mealtimes. Report to your class what you have learned.


I have learned that in meal planning it is helpful to plan ahead.  I choose 5-8 dinners to shop for at a time.  In addition to that, I try to always keep things for breakfasts and lunches and quick, easy dinners on hand in my pantry.  When I have chosen my 5-8 dinners I make a list of things we will need to buy to make those dinners, I also add lunch items, breakfast items and fruits and veggies that we are running low on to the list.  Then about once a week, I go to the store and purchase those items.  Each morning I decide which of the meals on my list I will make for dinner that evening.  I make a mental note of how long it will take to make dinner and what activities we have going on that evening so I can try to do as much prep ahead of time as possible.  When I am cooking if I notice I am running low on spices or condiments I put that on my shopping list right away so I won’t forget to buy more.  I try to do this with cleaning supplies as I am cleaning and every other type of household good too.  In addition to that, I try to keep at least two of each spice, canned food, cleaning supply, etc. on hand at all times and then when the one I am using runs out I have a backup on hand and then I replace the backup right away.  (I’m not sure if that makes sense, but I don’t know how to explain it better.)  Planning ahead makes things go much more smoothly.  It helps my life go better because dinner becomes less of a hassle...most of the time anyway.  If I'm able to keep food, fruits and veggies, and snacks on hand I don't hear my kids grumble about be "starving" quite as often. ;)  Sometimes I love cooking, sometimes I don't love it, but I feel it is a necessary skill when raising a family.

No comments: