Search This Blog

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Mummy Dogs aka Pigs in a Blanket

-->
Yesterday I decided to make Mummy Dogs (Halloween themed Pigs in a Blanket) for dinner.  In the past I’ve never been able to get the right crust.  I refuse to use Pillsbury Dough anymore; I think it's gross and it leaves a sticky film on the top of my mouth.  When talking about Pillsbury dough with one of my friends she jokingly said, "they probably don’t even use real flour."  Ha Ha.  Anyway, after thinking about what kind of roll to use for the crust I decided to try my Mom, Mary Louise Flake’s, Quick Yeast Rolls.  It worked really well, the “blanket” was very light and airy. 

As you can see the Mummy dogs were going fast.  I had to snap a picture quick before they were all gone.


Pigs in a Blanket or Halloween Mummy Dogs

Dough

1 ½ c warm water (The original recipe calls for scalded milk, but my kids are lactose intolerant and warm water is way faster and still tastes great so water it is.)
2 T dry yeast
2 eggs
1 T sugar
3 T shortening
1 t salt
Enough flour to make a very soft dough

Mix well.  Let rise until doubled.  Punch down and roll out on a floured surface to ¼ in thick.  Use a pizza cutter and cut the dough into strips.  Wrap the dough around your hot dogs.  Let rise again for about 5-10 minutes.  Bake at 400 for 12 minutes.  This recipe made enough dough for 12 Mummy Dogs and a 9X13 pan of rolls.  So it makes quite a bit.  You can half it if needed.

To make rolls, roll out dough to ¼ inch thick.  Cut the dough into round circles with the opening of a cup.  Dip the circle into butter melted in the bottom of a 9X13 pan then fold the circle in half and put it in the corner of the pan.  Repeat and fill up the pan.  Let rise until double in size.  Bake at 400 for 15 minutes.

No comments: