Search This Blog

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Convenient, Bank Robbery, The Lord Blesses His Missionaries


Sunday, October 27, 2013
Today I had a profound thought (at least it was profound to me) come to me as I woke early and was thinking over my day, and lets me honest, having a bit of a selfish moment.  Here’s the thought that came to me.  Things that are of great worth, and of eternal significance, will not always be convenient. 
I’ve had a long week.  I’ve been a single mother almost all week.  Not fun.  Chad was busy with work and a lot of young men activities that all just happened to be scheduled the same week and he had no control over the schedule.  It really hasn’t been that bad, there are lots of ladies whose husbands are gone more than Chad is or who have no husbands at all, but this morning I felt worn out.  I’ve had a good day though and I’ll be fine, just need to take it easy for a day or two.
Monday I did a lot of cleaning—laundry, master bathroom, sweeping and mopping the kitchen and bathroom. 

My winter garden is producing!  I love being able to go out and pick my lunch.

Tuesday Tilly had diarrhea again and got it all over the carpet so I had to clean the carpet where she had a mess and then took her to the doctor because she’s been having trouble off and on for over three weeks now.  This has been going on since before our trip to Mexico so I know she didn’t get some bug down there.  The doctor started her on some probiotics and I had to collect some stool samples and take them into get tested.  I never knew collecting stool samples was going to be part of my job description when I became a mother.  It was gross.  Tuesday afternoon Puring had her second discussion.  She accepted the date of Nov. 30th to be baptized!!!   
Wednesday morning I got up and hurriedly got ready and took the girls out to Grammy days so I could get to my VT appointment on time.  I left my phone at home and when I went to pick my partner up I found out that I missed a text telling me that our sister had to cancel since her daughter was sick and needed to go to the doctor.  So I had lots of time to go run errands and get grocery shopping done.  Before I left to run all my errands I stopped back home to get my phone and Chad was still there.  He told me that the branch he was going to go visit that day had just got robbed so he ended up working from home the whole day.  I love it when he gets to work from home.  So the bank’s loss was my gain.  I joked that it was like a Monopoly card.  “The bank just got robbed; your hubby gets to work from home.”  I do feel badly the bank was robbed though.  I feel even sadder for the man who had such a cause to rob a bank.  I imagine things must be pretty desperate for him to have stooped to that resort.  Chad found out that the robber was caught right after he robbed the bank.  While he was in the act, there was a policeman going through the drive thru so all the policeman had to do was follow the robber and pull him over.  The robber would have been caught quickly even if that didn’t happen though because he robbed it by just passing a note to the teller so he was dressed in regular clothes, no ski mask or anything like that, so he will be on all the security cameras. 
Wednesday when I was out and about, I finally found some pumpkin spice popcorn from popcornopolis at Old Navy.  I’ve been wanting to buy some for over a year now, but it’s only sold around Thanksgiving time and it sells out quick.  Well, have you ever looked forward to something and built it up in your head and then when you got it, it wasn't as good as you remembered? That happened to me with the pumpkin spice popcorn.  I’d been craving that for a long time and then when I got it, it wasn’t as good as I remembered. However, that doesn’t always happen.  Way back when I heard Chad was off his mission, I really wanted to go out with him and looked forward into running into him sometime (we knew each other pre-mission, just as friends).  It turns out he was and still is a way better man than I could have imagined. Thirteen years and six kids later I still feel like a newly married, smitten honeymooner. Hope to keep it that way.
Thursday I watched my friend Riki’s daughter Emma, who is Tilly’s age, while Riki went to the dentist.  Emma and my little girls played outside while I worked on taking down our swing set for a while.  Our swing set is falling apart so we need to take it down.  The slide fell off while my family was over here a few weeks ago.  Luckily no one was hurt.  I’ve ordered a new swing set from Costco.  It looks nice and we’re excited for it to come and to get it set up.  Bryant and the neighbor boy have loved using Chad’s tools to take apart our old swing set.  Bryant rushes to get his chores done so he can work on it.  J
Bryant and our neighbor have been having a great time tearing down our swing set.





Friday was a really busy day.  I had lots of errands to run in the morning with the girls.  Then I got Tilly to sleep and hired a babysitter while I went to help with Karalee's Halloween class party.  We had a nice time.  Right after school, Spencer left to a scout camporee.  He was so excited.  Chad and a whopping two of his eleven teachers left to the same camporee Spencer did a little later.  Friday night Bryant had a soccer game at 8 pm.  Bryant scored the winning goal!!
Spencer's Halloween party
Bryant's class party

Karalee's class party

Karalee wouldn't model her spider hat, so I did.

Isn't this the cutest little vampire you've ever seen!!

I love Tilly's eyelashes. 

Yesterday Karalee had a soccer game at 8:30 am then we came home and worked for over two hours at taking down our old swing set and stacking up all the old wood.  We’re almost done now.  Then I made some chili and cornbread for our ward trunk or treat.  We had a great time at our trunk or treat.
On Tuesday at Puring’s discussion I was kind of disappointed in the way the plan of salvation was being taught to her.  I wondered how she was going to ever understand it.  Then the missionaries asked her if she would be baptized on Nov. 30th and she said yes.  I’ve thought a lot about Puring’s progress with the missionary discussions.  Tons of things have gone wrong--the missionaries were really late at her first discussion, my kids were super noisy at stake conference, there are language barriers, the lessons have been presented in a way that are kind of hard to understand—and yet she still wants to be baptized.  This really is the Lord’s work and he uses those who are willing even though they may be weak and have imperfections to bring people his gospel.  You don’t have to have a perfect situation to teach someone about the gospel.  The Spirit is what does the teaching.  The Lord will make up where we lack, if we will do what we can.  He blesses his missionaries for their sacrifice and their desire to share the gospel.    The missionaries spoke in our sacrament meeting today and I was amazed at their testimonies.  I felt badly for being disappointed in their teaching abilities.  They are amazing.  I’m so thankful for what I have learned through this experience.
Spencer, Bryant, and Karalee have all passed off their scripture of the month.  Marlee is close.  Amy’s daughter Mary called me and passed it off too.  She was really cute.  She learned it all in one day. Good job Mary!!
My quote for today is from Sis. Carole M. Stephens talk Do We Know What We Have?  We all need each other. Sons of God need daughters of God, and daughters of God need sons of God.”
Love,
Mindy 

P.S. Chad helped the kids make a little movie tonight and I edited it.  It’s funny, but they defiantly need some work on keeping the camera still.  http://youtu.be/e7JEUhfdpYo
 

Lazy Sunday morning Uno game.

No comments: