Search This Blog

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Spencer's 12th Birthday

December 8, 2013
8:32 pm

Happy birthday to my nephew Shad today!!  Spencer was due on Shad’s birthday, but thankfully he came two days early, not because I didn’t want him to share a birthday with his cousin, but because every day of pregnancy at that point is a big deal and I was glad to have two days shaved off. 

This week has been great and pretty low key.  It was just what I needed after last week’s busy schedule.  On Monday I put up Christmas decorations, did laundry, stayed in my PJ’s all day long.  It was great.  They started work on our sport court.



On Tuesday our sport court cement was poured.  I was so exciting to me!!  We’ve never built a home, so to watch the building process, even though it was very basic was fun.  While Marlee was at preschool, Tilly and I dropped the van off to get an oil change and a wash then walked over to Target to do some Christmas shopping.  Josh and Mary called me that afternoon to pass of Jacob 6:12 the scripture of the month for this month.  Tuesday evening Spencer had an interview preparatory to getting ordained a deacon.  He passed and was given his first temple recommend!  Hopefully we can find a sitter this weekend so we can take him to do baptisms for the dead.



 Wednesday the little girls were sick, Marlee woke up with a sore throat and Tilly threw up in the night, so we didn’t go to Grammy days.  I walked with them to the blue park to get some fresh air and to let them play for a little while.


Our cement is dry!!



Thursday I mailed out my Christmas cards.  I went to the temple after the kids got home from school, Spencer babysat.

Friday was Spencer’s 12th birthday.  Chad and I woke him and the other kids up.  We all watched him open presents and then per his request I made omelets for his birthday breakfast.  I took him and all the kids out of school for his birthday lunch date.  We went to subway then after school we all went to the big field at our nearby school so Spencer (and Chad) could try out his remote control airplane.  Chad worked from home that day so he’d be able to go with us.  I don’t know who was more excited for the remote control airplane, Spencer or Chad. J  Friday morning I made a photo collage for Puring for Christmas and one for our picture wall. I also got nice pictures of Art and Brenda to put on our picture wall.




I don't know how he could tell it was a basketball?  ha ha.  




The reason there are two Priesthood holders dressed in white is because Elder Nelson helped Chad get Puring get in and out of the baptismal font.

I love that Art is wearing that tie.  I gave it to him.  I also gave a matching tie to my Dad.  My dad wore the matching tie when he was sworn in as Speaker of the House.  It makes me feel special that they liked the ties I picked out for them.
Such a beautiful, elect lady.
Yesterday’s soccer games were the last games of the soccer season.  I’m glad it’s over.  It’s too cold to sit outside for night games now.  Chad and I went to Logan’s roadhouse for our date last night then rented a movie from redbox.  We didn’t end up watching the whole movie though because it had a lot a bad language in it and I didn’t want that to disturb my mind when Spencer got the priesthood today.  

Bryant playing goalie for awhile.
We moved our portable basketball hoop out back to play on until our foundation is dry enough so we can install our new hoop.



Love Bryant's shorts and boots
Spencer was ordained a Deacon today and was given a nice blessing by Chad.  My mom came down from Snowflake to attend the event and Art and Brenda came too.  It was nice to have them there.  Another boy from our ward, Tyson Moore, who shares a birthday with Spencer, was ordained too.  He was ordained first and Brenda said while Tyson was being ordained she heard my Dad’s voice saying, “You’re in my seat.”  Brenda was sitting right next to my mom.  She thought that was just like him to say a joke like that.  I’m glad that my Dad was with us in spirit today. 

Three generations of Sanders and some of Spencer's line of authority.
We passed out goodie plates and Christmas cards to our neighbors tonight.  I made chocolate chip cookies and put in some red and green m&m’s with the chocolate chips.  We also gave our neighbor’s a copy of the special temple Ensign issue and letter from our bishop about the temple open house coming up.  Our stake president has requested that every home in our stake boundaries gets a copy of that Ensign issue and an invitation to go to the open house.  I volunteered to invite our close neighbors. 

I’m getting excited for Christmas and for mine and Chad’s anniversary on January 2nd.  Since we spent so much money on the sport court we aren’t going on a trip together this year, but we are planning a one night get away here in town.  Hayley has agreed to babysit for us.  Chad asked if he could plan out the whole trip and surprise me.  Of course I said yes.  I love surprises. 

My quote for today is from Elder Packer’s talk The Key to Spiritual Protection.  “Parents today wonder if there is a safe place to raise children. There is a safe place. It is in a gospel-centered home. We focus on the family in the Church, and we counsel parents everywhere to raise their children in righteousness. … Paul and others warned about the trials of our time and the days yet to come. But peace can be settled in the heart of each who turns to the scriptures and unlocks the promises of protection and redemption that are taught therein”.

Love,
Mindy Sanders


P.S.  This great family history story was included in the recent Flake Roundup issue.  It tells about my Grandma and Grandpa Flake’s unusual marriage and courtship.

No comments: