Search This Blog

Sunday, December 8, 2013

My Grandparent's Unusual Marriage Proposal and Courtship

The story below is about my Grandma Gerda's and Grandpa Virgil's unusual marriage proposal and courtship.  It is written by my Grandma.  I love family history stories.
 

My First Trip to Snowflake
By Gerda Flake
In February 1929, I was working as secretary for the Maytag Company in the Sale Department in Salt Lake City. I phoned my mother to tell her that I wouldn’t be home for lunch as I wasn’t feeling well. She said, “You have a letter here from Virgil Flake. Do you want me to bring it down to your office?”
“No” I replied, “I will read it when I come home after work.” He would write me a friendly letter about every six months.
My mother had to come down town anyway and she came to the office to see how I was feeling and brought the letter along because she was always curious about the mail I received from the op­posite sex. I opened it and read it through and I was more than surprised. It was a proposal of mar­riage. He wrote, “I have been thinking of marriage and the girls I have met and you are first choice.” He ended his letter by saying, “Please answer this letter or I will always wonder why you didn’t. ---- Your friend, Virgil Flake.”
I handed the letter to my mother to read and she began asking all kinds of questions about Virgil Flake.
When I arrived home after work, the first thing I did was to get his picture from the bottom of my trunk to show my parents, and to bring to my remembrance just what he looked like as it had been two years since I had seen him. I remember my mother saying, “I think he looks like a fine man.”
I answered his letter and told him I couldn’t make any decision like that without a visit from him. We were both missionaries in the California Mission and were released at the same time. I had a good impression of him at that time. Letters went back and forth for a month and then he wrote he was coming to Salt Lake City to see me.
It was an exciting day when he arrived, both for me and my parents. They were impressed with him and I was interested. After a week of being together, I accepted his proposal and he wanted to take me back with him. My parents offered their car on condition we return in two months and take them on a trip to California, as they didn’t drive, which we agreed to do.
My Sister Anna Pratt and husband came from Old Mexico for the wedding. I wore a white dress that belonged to my close friend, Verna Dustin, and we were married in the Salt Lake Temple. I didn’t have a reception as brides do now. My mother used to say she thought receptions were a beg­ging proposition, however, many gifts were delivered to our home from my friends in the church and places where I had worked---The Maytag Company gave me a set of silverware which I am still using for special occasions today.
The next morning, April 16,1929, we prepared to leave for Snowflake. I was excited and a little scared as we left Salt Lake City for my new home. My brother-in-law Harold, had fixed our car so the horn sounded every time we stopped for a red light and continued to sound until the car was moving. We got more than a glance or two as we drove down Main Street. Virgil finally had to pull to the side of the street and disconnect a few wires.
The trip from Salt Lake to Snowflake is usually made in one day, but there had been a severe rain storm and roads were closed and we had to go around by Las Vegas, Nevada. It was the third day before we arrived at the Half Way Ranch between Holbrook and Snowflake where Virgil’s brother Eugene and wife Lilly lived with their two small children. They welcomed us most heartily as they
were anxious to meet Virgil’s new wife.
After our evening meal, Virgil took me out to get acquainted with the horses. The evening was bright with a full moon but everything seemed so quiet. Just the snorting noise from the horses. I was introduced to each animal by name and I hoped that before long, I would be able to name these horses.
Eugene insisted that we spend the night at the ranch house. He said “You can’t go to Snowflake tonight, or you won’t get any rest at all.” In the meantime, he excused himself to go out and put up a night horse, but instead he went to the Highway and sent word by the first car that we had arrived and to spread the news.
That night I slept with Lilly where she cared for her small children and Virgil and Eugene slept in another room where the bed was not so comfortable. At five o’clock the next morning I was awak­ened by people coming into our bedroom laughing and talking and filing past my bed to get a view of the new bride. They were saying, “I am your cousin, I am your uncle or aunt or a friend of the family.” I heard a big noise where Virg was sleeping and he and Uncle Jack were scuffling in fun and they knocked the stove pipe down. I began to wonder “What next?”
Outside, a cowboy breakfast was in the making—steak, gravy, hot biscuits, cocoa etc. which Eugene had planned. Most of the town of Snowflake, school teachers and all came down to take in the cowboy breakfast and welcome the newlyweds. Virgil was so thrilled about this welcome he was receiving.
After the breakfast, the town folks returned home in time for school. About 9:30 A.M. Virgil drove me to Snowflake where I got a view of this little town for the first time. It was quiet and peace­ful and I felt I would be happy here. I had met Mother Flake at the breakfast—a tall quiet and gra­cious woman. Now Virgil took me to the big Flake home where I would meet his father. Father Flake took me in his arms and and said “Welcome to our family” and I knew I would love Virgil’s parents. He then took me to meet his grandfather, William Jordan Flake, who founded this little town. He was hard of hearing, but had a strong voice and he gave me a hearty welcome. Virg then took me to the house that was to be our home. Eugene and Lilly lived in half of it and we were to live in the other half. Father Flake had put a bed in the small bedroom so we had a place to sleep.
When we got married, there were two things I felt I had to have. A Maytag washer and a piano. Virgil arranged for me to have both of these. I had been secretary for the Maytag Co. before getting married and they arranged for us to get a washer at cost. The piano was purchased in Salt Lake from a widow who allowed us to pay on time. It was a Mason and Hamblin Upright and Cleone now has it in her home. They were both shipped down from Salt Lake. I felt very rich to be able to get both of these.
      Our courting came after we were married. Virgil took me to dances, shows and parties and occa­sionally on horseback rides and I truly fell in love with the man I married. I soon learned Snowflake was a town of culture and refinement with excellent schools, and a strong music background which I have enjoyed through the years. Snowflake is where all of my eight children were born and raised and where Virgil and I learned many of the true values of life.

No comments: