Search This Blog

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Letter - Thanksgiving, Tilly's 2nd birthday


Sunday, December 01, 2013
7:45am 

WOW!!  What a week.  We had such a great Thanksgiving weekend.  We had so many fun, wonderful events that took place.  It was quite busy, but every event was worth it.  I stayed up late each night getting Christmas presents and Christmas cards ready for my out of town family so I could hand deliver them while we were all together.  Instead of a goodie plate this year, I gave my mom and each of my siblings a framed aerial photograph of my parents’ house and barn.  I got the picture from Google earth, but it took a lot of tweaking to get it to look right.  I had to hunt through all the frames at Ross to get thirteen 5X7 frames.  Uncle Jeddy and Aunt Ruth had an aerial photograph of their home and yards hanging up in their house and I always loved looking at it.  It makes things more interesting when you see them from such a different perspective.
 

 Monday – I made a Costco run.  Puring came over for a short visit.  It was nice to have her stop by.  Trigger called and left me a message passing off the scripture of the month.  He even sang it!  It was so cute.  Good job Trigger.  I mailed him his treat.  Did he get it Kari?  Mary, Josh, Jaki, Rachel, Natalie, and my older kids have passed it off too.  It’s a really easy one this month.  I need to mail Kayla’s girls their prize.  Everyone else got their prize already…I think.  Let me know if I missed someone.  Monday night Shannon and Aaron came over for FHE and a Wii night.  Our kids were surprisingly very reverent during the lesson that Bryant gave us.  It was a welcome change that’s for sure.  We should invite people to join us for FHE more often.  I got an email Monday night inviting me to sing in the choir for the 9:00am cornerstone ceremony for the Gilbert Temple Dedication on March 2nd.  I’m very, very excited to be a part of it.

Shannon and Aaron brought this game that you have to concentrate and
 use your mind to beat your opponet.  It was fun.





Tuesday – Marlee had a Thanksgiving feast at preschool.  I signed up to bring rolls.  I love to bake.  I made another quick trip to Costco.  I went last Saturday too.  They messed up one of my photo orders so that’s why I went there so many times in a row.  Luckily they have such a good return policy and I got my pictures just right.  But the store was very crowded with shoppers getting ready for Thanksgiving. 
 
 
Spencer was awarded his 1st and 2nd class in scouts at our wards court of honor on Tuesday night.
Wednesday – The kids had a half day at school and they also had a turkey trot and turkey relays.  Bryant and Spencer weren’t quite fast enough for the1/2 mile turkey trot.  The school has the 10 fastest boys and 10 fastest girls from each of the 4th, 5th, and 6th grades run the turkey trot.  Spencer was the 11th fastest and Bryant was the 14th fastest so they just missed it.  On Tuesday night while we were talking about it, Chad found out they weren’t in the top 10 and didn’t get to run the race.  He said, “What, you’re not fast enough?  I was the fastest kid when I was in 6th grade.”  Then he found out the race was ½ a mile and then said, “Oh that’s ok then.  That’s a long race.  I thought it was a 100 yard dash or something.”  We’re not competitive in our house at all are we?  Both the boys got to be in the Turkey relay.  They had to run across the field with a 10 pound turkey.  It was a fun race to watch.  When they got out of school at noon I picked them up and went over to Brenda’s house so they could see Deserie, Hayley, and Annalyn who had driven home through the night from BYUI to surprise their mom for Thanksgiving.  We had lunch together and had a fun time visiting and playing in the back yard until it was time to come home and get the house ready for our company.  My sister Crystal, her husband Darrell, and their kids Ray, Brady, Shad, Chalise and their new baby Tayson stayed with us this weekend.  I LOVE having house guests.  We had so many activities we didn’t get a lot of time to visit, but the visiting we got in was sure nice.  The boys had fun playing Mario Kart with their older cousins.  I had fun making breakfast each morning and holding baby Tayson. 
 
The girls and I waiting for the kid's turkey relay to start


Karalee's grade did a relay with a rubber chicken around their neck.


We had a full house!!  I loved it.

Cute baby Tayson and me
I’ll pause for now.  Bryant wants me to play a card game with him. 

8:33am
I’m back now.  We played war.  Karalee and Bryant cleaned Marlee and me out quickly.  They’re still going strong.

Thursday was a very full day.  We started out with a very casual 5K, some ran, some walked and some rode bikes and scooters.  We started and ended at my house.  (The day before, Karalee, Marlee and I rode our bikes to map out the race and mark the directions on the sidewalk with sidewalk chalk.)  The only bad part about the race was that Marlee took off on her bike before I was ready and I couldn’t run fast enough to catch up to her.  Part of the route was on the sidewalk along a busy highway so I was pretty nervous about her, but she was just fine.  After the race we got our green bean casserole ready and then headed over to Celeste’s church’s covered picnic tables to eat our Thanksgiving feast.  It was delicious.  After dinner we had our traditional stick horse rodeo.  I made candy belt buckles for the winners.  After the stick horse rodeo, Jenn, Doug’s wife, surprised us and gave each of my siblings and me a scrapbook she made with our pictures and certificates of when we were younger.  She got them from my parents’ house.  She made THIRTEEN different, individual scrapbooks. It was such a thoughtful gift and sure must have taken her a long time to complete.  Thank you Jenn!!!  After that we went into the church building and my sister Crystal organized a 3 on 3 basketball tournament.  It was fun, but I twisted my ankle early on in the tournament so I just got to watch most of the time.  With all those activities we were able to work off all the pie and mashed potatoes and we sure slept well that evening which was nice.
 











Spencer was the money calf.  All the kids piled on top of him trying to get the money





Chad was the money calf for the older kids.  After getting tackled by some of my big nephews he decided he doesn't want to do that again!




I love this picture of Tilly playing with the music stand and hymn book.
Friday was a busy day too.  It was Tilly’s 2nd birthday.  I woke up and cooked a big sausage, egg, and bagel breakfast.  It was nice to have Darrell and Crystal’s family here to help us celebrate and watch her open her presents.  Puring even came over just before Tilly woke up and lead us in singing happy birthday to Tilly.  After we got breakfast cleaned up we headed to the Angle reunion at the newly remodeled tri stake center in Mesa.  We had fun visiting, playing volleyball and basketball, there was a big bounce house for the little kids and we had a talent show during lunch.  Bryant sang Gethsemane and Spencer played “Jig” from the Michael Aaron book on the piano.  I was going to play “Bumble Boogie” and had worked on getting it performance ready but there wasn’t a piano, only a small keyboard without enough keys to play the song.  I was both bummed and relieved that I didn’t get to perform--sad that I had worked on getting it ready for nothing and relieved that I didn’t have to play in front of everyone.  I get so nervous to play in front of people.   Friday evening we had a Virgil and Gerda cousin’s party at Celeste’s house.  Only two of our cousins and their families actually showed up though.  I guess people were too busy.  My brothers and sisters still had fun visiting with each other.
 







We even had a cousin play the bagpipes at our reunion!  It was cool.

Tilly eating her birthday cake


The kids dressed up to sing Old MacDonald
Saturday morning was Puring’s baptism.  It went well.  Chad baptized her.  Spencer and Bryant sang “Gethesemane”.  I gave a talk on the Holy Ghost.  My Mom played the piano and Brenda, Chad’s mom, gave the closing prayer.  It was a nice service and several members of our ward came.  Saturday after the baptism we thought about putting up our Christmas lights and decorations but we were too wiped out from the busy weekend.  Chad got things ready in our yard for our sport court, which I guess is really just a basketball court not a sport court.  He had to cap off the sprinklers that are going to be covered up by the cement.  Saturday evening Chad and I went out to eat at On the Boarder for our date.  We love their avocado fries and their chili rellenos.  
 
  
It was sure a great week visiting with both my side and Chad’s side of the family.  I’m sure thankful we love each other and like to get together often.  It was a heavenly week.  All the preparations were worth it.
 
Next week is Spencer’s twelfth birthday.  He has an interview with the Bishop this Tuesday night at 9:00pm and will be ordained a Deacon in our church at 2:50, during the last 10 minutes of the Deacon’s quorum class, next Sunday.  So exciting!!  

My quotes today are from Elder Uchtdorf’s talk Come, Join With Us.  I have several parts of the talk marked on my phone but I’ll narrow it down to two quotes. 
·         “If you define hypocrite as someone who fails to live up perfectly to what he or she believes, then we are all hypocrites. None of us is quite as Christlike as we know we should be. But we earnestly desire to overcome our faults and the tendency to sin. With our heart and soul we yearn to become better with the help of the Atonement of Jesus Christ.” 
·         “Our daily walk with Jesus Christ leads to peace and purpose in this life and profound joy and eternal salvation in the world to come.  Those who follow this path faithfully avoid many of the pitfalls, sorrows, and regrets of life.  The poor in spirit and honest of heart find great treasures of knowledge here.  Those who suffer or grieve find healing here.  Those burdened with sin find forgiveness, liberty, and rest.”
I’m so grateful for the restored gospel of Jesus Christ in my life.  I know it is true and that following the teachings of the Savior and his plan lead to joy and happiness. 

Love,
Mindy

No comments: