Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Letter - Christmas, Trip to Snowflake

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

It’s New Year’s Eve.  This date has many fond memories for me, but it is also a somber day of sadness.  Eleven years ago today I found out that the baby I was carrying, Joseph, would not survive past birth.  That was a hard day, but I made it through that process and have been able to help others through it and there have been many blessings along the way. 

I’m a few days late writing this week’s letter because I’ve been a little sick.  My eye started bothering me on Sunday and today since it wasn’t better I went to the doctor and found out I have pink eye.  I got some antibiotic eye drops now and have already seen and felt some improvement.    

Last Monday, Dec. 23rd, Chad had the day off.  He and the boys played basketball all morning.  That afternoon we had our scripture of the month club year end party at Flip side.  Kari and Alden brought Trigger down from Snowflake so he could join us and Amy brought her kids over.  It was so much fun.  I’m glad the kids worked so hard at memorizing their scriptures each month so we could have such a fun celebration.  If your kids start memorizing the scriptures they can come to next year’s party!  I’ve chosen  the scripture of the month for Jan. 2014, since our Gilbert temple open house is next month I chose Psalm 24:3-4 for next month’s scripture.  (Speaking of the Gilbert temple open house, if my family and friends from out of town would like to come to the open house, you are welcome to spend the night at my house so you don’t have to drive down and back in one day.  We live just five minutes or so from the temple and we love house guests!!)  Monday evening for part of our FHE we went caroling to the residents at Puring’s care home.  It was a nice day.















Tuesday was Christmas Eve.  Chad took Karalee on a double date with Karalee’s friend Sammy Washburn and her dad.  They went ice skating.  Chad said Karalee did well and learned to skate by herself without holding on to him.  




For dinner on Christmas Eve we went to Chad’s parent’s house and had their traditional Around the World Christmas dinner, and then we had sumo wrestling and the nativity.  It was fun.    








Christmas day was nice. We had a fun day here at home.  All the kids slept in Chad’s and my room, which is a tradition.  We told the kids they couldn’t get up before 6:30.  However, I was so excited I was having trouble sleeping, so when I heard Bryant and Spencer whispering to each other at 6:00 I told them that we could go out to the family room while we waited until 6:30 to wake up Chad and the other kids.  We read the nativity story in Luke 2 while we waited and it ended up being a special moment.  Maybe we will do it again next year.  The kids were happy with their presents and spent the day playing with them.  That evening Crystal, Tyler, Wynn and Rend came over for visiting and dinner.  It was fun to see my nephew Rend and his wife Michelle and their kids again.  We’ve missed them since they moved to North Dakota.    











Last Thursday I took the kids on a field trip to the State Capitol so Spencer could finish his last requirement for of the citizenship in the nation merit badge.  We had a nice tour of the old Capitol building; we got to see the silver service that was taken off the USS Arizona (they knew they would be joining the war at some point so it was removed before the bombing took place), we learned about the gratitude train that France sent to the US after the war, and we learned several other facts about AZ trying to become a state.  It was nice to have a personal tour with just me and the kids.  After the tour we went to "visit" Grandpa Flake.  By visit I mean we saw his picture from when he was Speaker of the House hanging in the House of Representatives.   I love his smile in it.  We wanted to see the statue of him in the Senate building but the Senate building was still closed for Christmas.   I also showed the kids the office I worked in before I had Spencer and they got to meet Jan, my former co-worker.





 Friday evening we went to Snowflake.  We had a nice relaxing stay there and it was just us and my mom.  My kids were kind of sad their cousins weren’t around, but we still managed to have a good time.  I read a good book while I was there, we took Spencer to the Snowflake temple and he and Chad did baptisms while I did sealings, we went up to Show Low to see the movie Frozen, we played phase10 with my Mom, and we had fun building fires upstairs in the kitchen fireplace and in the basement fireplace so the kids could stay warm while they slept down there.  I love to build fires.  I’m a bit of a pyromaniac.  We got home from Snowflake on Sunday evening around 5:30 and like I said I wasn’t feeling well.  I went to bed early, at 8:00pm. 






Yesterday I still wasn’t feeling that great but not too bad.  In the afternoon I went shopping all by myself.  Chad was working from home, Tilly was asleep, and none of the older kids wanted to come with me.  I made a few returns and then got some stuff at Walmart and Costco.  It was kind of nice to get so much shopping done without the kids. 

Tonight we have a New Year’s Eve party at our friends the Wilcox’s.  It should be fun.  They are a fun family. 

Karalee is loving her Rainbow Loom.  She wears all 11 bracelets that she's made.
I have two quotes for today from Boyd K. Packer’s 1987 Conference talk, Balm of Gilead. 
·         “Obedience is powerful spiritual medicine. It comes close to being a cure-all.”
·        Boys flying kites haul in their white-winged birds;
You can call back your kites, but you can’t call back your words.
‘Careful with fire’ is good advice, we know;
‘Careful with words’ is ten times doubly so.
Thoughts unexpressed will often fall back dead. But God Himself can’t kill them, once they are said!
It is painful to be the victim. But have you not yet learned how much more painful it is to be the offender?”

Love,

Mindy

No comments: