Search This Blog

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Gilbert Temple Cultural Celebration and Cornerstone Ceremony

I'm too tired to write up a letter tonight, but my Mom wanted me to share some pictures of my boys putting mortar on the cornerstone of the Gilbert temple.  The didn't get to do it with Pres. Monson during the actual ceremony, but they still got do it and that was pretty cool.  I'll also add some pictures of the Temple Cultural Celebration.  It was so memorable to perform the cultural celebration in the pouring rain.  It's fun now that it's over, but it was a little cold and crazy last night.  It was worth it though and I'd do it all over again.  Last night I kind of wondered why the Lord didn't stop the rain from coming until the performance had ended.  Then I was taught a lesson, which I hope to be able to teach my YW.  The lesson was this:  Life is not always going to be ideal.  Hard times will come, but we still need to put forth our best efforts and have fun and find joy in less than perfect circumstances. Plus I know all those Gilbert pioneers who were watching from Heaven probably wanted to send the rain down to join in the celebration.  I'm sure that back in their day, anytime it rained it was something to celebrate about. At least I know that's how the Snowflake Pioneers felt.  Even though the Lord didn't keep it from raining until the performance was over I feel like He did keep it from raining on us all afternoon while we rehearsed. The winds kept shifting to keep blue skies over us while we rehearsed.  To me that was a miracle.  If the youth would have been drenched all day, I think they would have had a hard time keeping their spirits up.

This is my very favorite picture of all the celebration and practices.  I think I'm going to have it printed on canvas and hang it up in our home next to Spencer's Title of Liberty.
Here is Spencer's Title of Liberty.  I love how it's all wrinkled from getting so wet.  I'll probably keep it that way to remember the crazy, wet night.
His Title of Liberty says: I will live true to the Faith by honoring my priesthood and keeping my baptismal covenants.  I will try to bring others to the church and be kind to all.  I will be a peace keeper and keep the holy Ghost as a constant companion.  I will be a constant servant to the Lord and i will keep myself spiritually clean.  I will study the scriptures, serve my fellow friends and I will watch and listen to good things.  I WILL LIVE TRUE TO THE FAITH!  -Spencer Sanders
I saw Brandon and the Mowers and we got to visit while they had some down time and the kids were rehearsing.  My cousin Kent also walked over, after I had taken the picture.

Trying to stay warm and dry.

I took this to show how muddy the field got.

This morning dawned clear and beautiful.  This was taken on our way to the Cornerstone Ceremony this morning.  I had to report for rehearsal at 6:45.  Chad and the boys came with me so they could secure a good spot to see the prophet and the ceremony ... and to watch and listen to me sing in the choir.




Can you spot me in the choir?






1 comment:

Celeste Dana said...

The choir sounded great. I was a little jealous of all you got to be a part of. I was happy to be watching the celebration from my couch last night though.