Search This Blog

Monday, May 5, 2014

Shall I Falter, or Shall I Finish?

This morning I read the sad news about a tragic accident that occurred yesterday on the way to church in which my cousin’s toddler was killed.  This had me reflecting about other major trials that several other loved ones are going through.  Two people I love recently battled life threatening illnesses that have left not only physical but emotional scars as well.  Two people I love are going through a divorce that is also causing arguments, anger, sadness and stress within the family.  People I love have struggled with infertility.  People I love recently delivered a still born baby and are struggling as life marches on.  I know of a young mother who was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer.  When hard trials hurt those I love sometimes I feel a type of survivor’s guilt, but when I have gone through trials of my own I haven’t wanted other people to feel guilty for what I am going through.  As I’ve thought about these circumstances I remembered something President Thomas S. Monson said, “Brothers and sisters, it may be safely assumed that no person has ever lived entirely free of suffering and sorrow. ... When the pathway of life takes a cruel turn, there is the temptation to ask the question ‘Why me?’ At times there appears to be no light at the end of the tunnel, no sunrise to end the night’s darkness. We feel encompassed by the disappointment of shattered dreams and the despair of vanished hopes. We join in uttering the biblical plea, ‘Is there no balm in Gilead?’  We feel abandoned, heartbroken, alone. We are inclined to view our own personal misfortunes through the distorted prism of pessimism. We become impatient for a solution to our problems, forgetting that frequently the heavenly virtue of patience is required.  The difficulties which come to us present us with the real test of our ability to endure. A fundamental question remains to be answered by each of us: Shall I falter, or shall I finish? 

I’ve come to realize that every one of us is going to have a major, knock down trial at least once in this life.  At times life is going to test your very limits and give you more than you can handle … on your own.  But you will never be given more than you can handle with the help of our Savior Jesus Christ.  He is mighty to save (2 Ne. 31:19).  He has surely borne our griefs and carried our sorrows (Isiah 53:4).  Jesus Christ will help us finish when we feel like faltering.  He is why we can have hope when everything seems so bleak.  

President Monson goes onto say, "The history of the Church in this, the dispensation of the fulness of times, is replete with the experiences of those who have struggled and yet who have remained steadfast and of good cheer. The reason? They have made the gospel of Jesus Christ the center of their lives. This is what will pull us through whatever comes our way. We will still experience difficult challenges, but we will be able to face them, to meet them head-on, and to emerge victorious" (I Will Not Fail Thee nor Forsake Thee).

Life is short and temporary.  Hug your children a little tighter.  Love a little bit more.  Be more kind.  Forgive and make amends with those you may be at odds with today.  Don't wait until tomorrow.  You may not get another tomorrow.  You don't have to agree with each other, but maybe you can agree to disagree and move forward with love.

One more quote that brings me comfort today.  "We Are Not Made for Endings--In light of what we know about our eternal destiny, is it any wonder that whenever we face the bitter endings of life, they seem unacceptable to us? There seems to be something inside of us that resists endings. Why is this? Because we are made of the stuff of eternity. We are eternal beings, children of the Almighty God, whose name is Endless and who promises eternal blessings without number. Endings are not our destiny" (Dieter F. Uchtdorf, Grateful in Any Circumstances).

1 comment: