Search This Blog

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Letter - Perspective, Gathered into Families, Stake Conference

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Our week has gone well.  I was glad to ease back into school only having to go three days this week.  On Monday Karalee and Marlee really wanted to set up a Lemonade Stand.  They (and I monitored since they are so young) stayed out for about an hour and made $9.50.  Other than that we relaxed and enjoyed the day off school.

Ralaxing



Tuesday was the last day of Spring Break.  That morning the boys had basketball camp.  The girls went to Grammy days and I went to the temple.  I am SO thankful to have a temple nearby where I can quickly run and do service in the temple when I have a couple hours.  As I walked up to the temple and while I was inside I really felt strongly how blessed I am and how much the Lord wants to bless all of his children.  I was able to do sealings with an emeritus general authority, Elder J. Richard Clarke.  He was a member of the presiding Bishopric and a member of the presidency of the seventy.  He is a snowbird and will be going back to Utah in a couple of weeks.  I asked him if he will work in the temple in Utah when he moves there for the summer and he said, “Yes, but I don’t work in the temple, I serve in the temple.”  The way he said that reminded me of my dad when I would ask him if I had to go riding.  He would say, “No you get to go riding.”  It’s important to have the right perspective about things. J

After the temple, Grammy days and basketball camp were over, the kids and I had a lunch date at the new Barro’s pizza that opened up across the street.  Later that afternoon Amy and her kids came to play in our back yard.  Amy’s son Jason was very talkative to me this time.  I’m glad he knows who I am now and that we’re good friends.  I love being an Aunt.  I’m sure glad my kids had so many opportunities to play with their cousins over spring break.  For mutual that night our laurels class decorated plates with sharpies.  They turned out cute.  After you decorate them you bake them in the oven for a while so they sharpie won’t wash off. 




The kids like to play a form of breddish (not sure how to spell that) bulldogs on the slippery slide.  It really isn't very safe and someone usually ends up crying, but I decided to let them find out for themselves on this one.




Cute Sally
Beautiful Mary
My new buddy Jason
A few of the plates we decorated at our laurel activity
Wednesday the older kids went back to school.  I mowed the lawn after I worked out that morning.  That afternoon I planned our menu for the next little while and went grocery shopping with the kids after they came home from school.  Shopping with the kids reminded me of why I usually shop while they’re at school.  It’s a lot more work to shop with kids. 

Thursday afternoon I worked on a little Personal Progress again.  If you are interested in reading my journaling about that you can read it HERE.  That afternoon Marlee had choir.  I’m looking forward to her concert.  Chad’s flag football game (which happens to be in north Mesa, 30 minutes away) that night ended up being a forfeit.  Luckily, he had gone to his game straight after a work meeting in Scottsdale so he didn’t drive all the way over there for nothing.  I gave Chad and the boys haircuts that night.

Yesterday (Friday) Spencer and Tilly had doctor appointments.  Spencer got his physical for scouts and it will count for school sports next year too since it is after March 1st.  Spencer also had his ear follow up since his ear trouble while were on vacation.  He still can’t hear out of it well.  The doctor said it looks like he has swimmers ear because there is a lot of fluid in there, but if it really did burst it’s healed up now.  We just have to monitor it here at home to make sure he doesn’t start having trouble again.  Tilly had a well check and got her MMR vaccination.  I am really slow about getting vaccines for my kids, but still think they are important.  Yesterday afternoon I tried a new chocolate, chocolate chip cookie recipe I got from my friend Brittany Call.  It was very yummy.  Instead of semi-sweet chocolate chips I used milk chocolate chips and also added a little bit of Andes mint pieces.  Chad and Spencer went on a deacon's backpacking hike/campout that afternoon.  They asked Chad to come because they needed more trucks to get all the boys to their location.  Chad was happy to go.  This time it was a much longer hike.  While they were gone the rest of the kids and I grabbed a quick dinner at Wendy’s and then went to watch the new Cinderella movie.  I really liked it.  I loved its message about kindness and courage.

Tilly sure loves to line things up.  I hope she doesn't become really obsessive about it.
Tilly's reward for helping me with the chocolate cookies.  I sure love my cute little helper.

Karalee had a school field trip to Butterfly wonderland on Friday.  Her friend's mother sent me the pictures she took of Karalee.  That was so thoughtful of her.


Karalee's whole class with their matching tie dyed shirt they made at school.  The B stands for Miss Braidi.
Karalee with her friends Reagan and Capri
Today the kids and I rode our bikes to Sonic to get a soda or snack after we got our chores done.  I let the kids order one thing off the value menu $1.50 or less. Currently Bryant and Karalee each have a friend from school over to play.  Chad and Spencer still aren’t back from the hike/campout.  I hope everything is ok.  Chad has a priesthood leadership meeting at 4:00 this afternoon and then we have our adult session of stake conference at 7:00.  He’s not going to get much rest today.

I’ll finish this week’s letter up tomorrow.

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Chad and Spencer didn’t get home from their scout outing until about 3:00 pm.  They reported that it was a much longer hike, but they had a good time.  Chad said he had to carry one of the deacon’s packs for a large portion of the hike.  Both Chad and Spencer were pretty tired when they got home, but Chad went to his Priesthood leadership session of stake conference and then he took me to the adult session of stake conference and stayed awake the whole time.  I’m so grateful for a good, stalwart husband.  I was promised a stalwart Priesthood holder for my husband in my patriarchal blessing and I’m glad I lived worthy enough to receive that blessing in Chad.  I sure love him. 
Stake Conference was wonderful last night and today.  The kid’s all did really well and since they had a stake youth choir this time Chad was around to help me out.  It was much better than my last Sunday morning stake conference session experience that almost brought me to tears. 

 I love these pictures of Bryant and Karalee.  They are beginning to become good friends for which I am so grateful.  They can still argue pretty good with each other, but thankfully that is happening less than it used to.  The top picture was taken Friday night.  The bottom picture was taken this morning.  Bryant and Karalee got up earlier than everyone else and quietly started a game of stratego.

This evening Chad, the kids and I are going to go visit Joseph’s grave.  This Thursday would be his 12th birthday.  My children know who he is and talk about him.  We love him and look forward with hope to being gathered as an eternal family with him in Heaven.  Over the last few years, I’ve thought about verses 4-6 in 3 Ne. 10 regarding gathering.  I wondered what I needed to do to let myself be gathered.  Initially I thought about making covenants and allowing myself to be gathered into the church.  However, recently I’ve come to realize that it is much more important to allow myself to be gathered into the different families that I belong to.  Families are the organization of Heaven.

Instead of one quote to end with today, I will share the quotes from our Stake Conference that really stood out to me.
  • The barometer of our conversion is how we serve outside of our callings. – Pres. Neher
  • “Man’s greatest happiness comes from losing himself for the good of others.” – David O. McKay
  • If you get close to Him [Christ], your love for your fellow men will increase and you will see your weakness a feel the need to repent – Pres. Derrick
  • We are going to run aground on our inability to love other people.  We need to change.  He asked us to read Elder Oaks talk about loving others and living with differences.
  • Blessings come--some come early, some come late and some come in heaven. – Bro. Spencer
  • Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ have given us a gift that allows us to repent.  It won’t matter how many times we need the gift as long as it is used each time it is required. – Pres. Trendler
  • If you want to move on with your life, you have to forgive.  Do it for you.  –Pres. Trendler
  • The law of the fast falls under the law of sacrifice as does tithing. … Just as bad habits can harmfully penetrate generations, this law of sacrifice [fasting] penetrates many generations for good. – Pres. Derrick

Love,

Mindy

No comments: