Search This Blog

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Letter - Spring Break Trip

Monday, March 16, 2015

Happy 6th birthday to my great-nephew Jack!  He, Marlee and Mary were all born in the same month within two weeks of each other.  It’s fun to have close cousins for my kids. 

Tuesday, Feb. 24th was a super, super busy day for me.  We had our YW New Beginnings plus Spencer had an orthodontic appointment, Marlee was sick and I had to take her into the doctor and Bryant had a band concert that I had to miss.  New beginnings went well, there were a few minor things that didn’t go the way I had pictured in my mind, but overall I was still pleased with the event.  Even though it was such a busy day Chad and I still played volleyball that evening with some friends.  I was quite tired the next day and the rest of that week I spent my time recovering a bit and just keeping up with the kids’ events and such.

Bryant at his last basketball game on 2-28-15

Tuesday March 3rd, Spencer had a choir concert.  I accompanied two of his songs.  It was fun.  Chad and I played volleyball that evening.  Wednesday the 4th I visited Puring.  She had a bad fall and broke her femur where it hooks into her hip.  She had to have surgery and have a metal ball put in.  I worry about her ever being able to walk again.

Spencer donning his mustache for their performance of "A Mustache"



Thursday March 5th Spencer had a soccer game.  Marlee had choir around the same time so we only got to watch part of his game since I had to run and pick her up before his game was over.  His team won.  They are really good.  Spencer gets to play the whole game since he is a defender.  He got to take the ball up the field a couple of times though since he played mid-field.  That evening I met two new laurels who moved into the ward with their family.  I’m excited for them to join our class.

March 6th was ward temple night.  We had a really good turnout.  Moving temple night to Friday nights was a good idea.  Chad and I went to get half price appetizers for our late dinner at Arribas after the session was over.  It was yummy.

March 7th I had an appointment to donate blood before we left for California for our Spring break vacation.  We had a nice drive to California minus heavy traffic the last hour of our trip.  We got tired of the traffic really quick during the trip.  We have no desire to move there with all that traffic.  We arrived at Kayla’s house and relaxed a bit and then went out for Chinese for dinner.  It was great food and even greater company.  Sunday we went to church with the Larsons.  It is our third time to visit their ward.  They have a great, strong ward and the church members are wonderful.  One of Kayla’s friends even remembered my name and came up and said hi.  That was nice.

The drive to CA
Spencer's fish stick
The Chinese Food was a big hit!


Natalie is Tilly's best friend
Sunday night game night.  Learning how to play Risk


Still playing Risk 
Monday morning we drove into LA and went the Universal Studios.  Traffic was terrible.  It took us an hour and a half to go 45 miles.  Universal studios was SO fun.  It was better than I expected it to be.  They are building a Harry Potter world just like in Universal Orlando so I want to take the family back there when it is finished.  The park is probably best for 8 year olds and up as Marlee and Tilly were scared on almost every ride even though they weren’t roller coasters.  The only bad part of our vacation was that Spencer had a bad ear ache and it burst while we were at Universal Studios a few hours before the park closed.  I felt so badly for him.  Mothers never like to see their kids suffering, especially during a vacation.  We were able to find medical help for him close by at a CVS minute clinic.  We were in and out with our prescriptions within an hour.

Almost to Hollywood



Poor Spencer.  This was towards the end of the day when his ear drum was about to burst.



Getting medical attention for Spencer's ear.
We drove back to Kayla’s house at stayed with her for a third night.  Jeff and Kayla are such great hosts.  Our kids get along well and we have so much fun together.  We especially had fun learning how to play Risk with them.  Bryant really, really likes that game.  He is now saving up to buy it.


Tuesday morning we drove to San Diego and went to Sea World.  It was fun.  Spencer was feeling better by then after having antibiotics in his system for half a day.  He even rode a roller coaster!!  He doesn’t like heights so is usually too scared to ride.  The dolphin show has been revamped and is great.  The Shamu show was ok.  It isn’t as fun now that they don’t swim with the whales anymore.  That evening we stayed at a hotel in San Diego and then drove home on Wednesday. 








Thursday Chad had to go back to work, the kids had Grammy days, and I had a laurel’s baptism activity.  Friday we had a more relaxed day.  Brenda took the boys to Top Golf and the girls stayed home with me and we invited Jennie and Trever’s girls over to swim in our little blow up pool.  We had a fun afternoon with them. 

Too bad laundry didn't take a vacation too. 


Emma asked me to braid her hair.  I love it that Jennie's girls ask me to fix there hair when they come over.   I love to fix hair ... most of the time.

Friday evening we started our Harry Potter marathon, probably the only type of marathon I’ll ever participate in!  We watched movies 1 and 2 Friday night.  Saturday we watched movies 3, 4, 5 and half of 6 in between other activities throughout the day and night.  Tonight after FHE we finished movies 6 and 7.  It’s late so I’m not sure if we’ll finish the last movie tonight or wait until tomorrow.  Spencer just put it in so I guess we’ll watch part of it.  I love the Harry Potter seriers.  I bought all the books for Christmas a few years ago.  Spencer has read them all 3 times and Bryant has read them all twice.  It is such a good story of good and love triumphing over evil and hatred. 

My quote for today is from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.  “Your mother died to save you.  If there is one thing Voldemort cannot understand, it is love.  He didn’t realize that love as powerful as your mother’s for you leaves its own mark.  Not a scar, no visible sign…to have been loved so deeply even though the person who loved us is gone, will give us some protection forever.” 

Love,
Mindy


P.S.  Last night on our way to a Sanders' family birthday dinner Spencer saw a rabbit on the side of the road and pointed it out to Tilly.  She looked at it and said, "We...need to run over it."  We laughed and laughed.  Usually little girls like bunny rabbits.

No comments: