Search This Blog

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Letter - Choosing between 2 good things, families help us become what He wants us to be

Sunday, August 8, 2015

Monday I had 3-4 hours of errands.  Tilly was an awesome little sidekick.  She doesn’t complain. Later Monday afternoon one of my good friends who was agonizing over a decision, asked some questions on Facebook that I feel are very important so I want to record them in my journal.
“Why is it so hard to choose between 2 good things? How do you know which one is the right choice?  Please enlighten me.” 
I commented and answered her questions with this pattern I’ve learned from the scriptures and other experiences.
“List pros and cons and study it out (D&C 9). Make the choice that feels the best after studying it out and then go forward with faith. If it continues to feel right and become "fruitful" (Alma 32) it is right. Sometimes there can be two right decisions and Heavenly Father leaves the choice up to you.
After pondering more I would add that you need make sure prayer is part of that equation as you are studying it out.

Tuesday Tilly and I went swimming with the LBC (Lonely Babies Club). That night for mutual we did college prep with the laurels class.  We learned how to cook a quick meal.

Wednesday I did sealings during Grammy days and got to visit with my adopted Grandpa’s who work as sealers on Wednesday mornings.  That evening we enjoyed a being able to stay home.

Thursday morning there was a nice cloud cover, so I was able to walk outside while Tilly rode her bike, instead of walking on the treadmill.  Tilly rode over 2 miles with no complaining!  After that I came home and worked in the yard.  I got carried away and spent about four hours out there working--edging, mowing, replacing 2 broken sprinklers, fixing a broken drip line, trimming some broken branches and the flowers.  Thursday evening when Chad came home from work he told me that he met with his boss that day and was asked to pioneer a new loan origination system.  He is the first Chase lending manager in the nation on the retail side asked to use it.  It has been used in the call centers already though.  This new system is a significant investment for Chase so this big.  Chad will be the one to learn all the ins and outs, tips and tricks and will work out all the kinks and then will probably be asked to go teach it to others.  I feel like this is a good thing for Chad because it gives him a positive change of focus at his job.  He is good at figuring out new systems and is a good, patient teacher.  I think it will help him enjoy his job more.  Chad took Spencer with him to play basketball at the church Thursday night at 9pm.  It is so fun that Spencer is good enough to go play with the “less competitive” men now. 

Friday I don’t remember what I did during the day, but that night was ward temple night.  Chad and I enjoyed a session with several other couples from our ward.  It was a completely full session since the Mesa temple is still closed.  So full that they had to add an extra session at 7:30 to fit in all the people who couldn’t fit into that last session of the day.  Several new things stood out to me in that session.  Chad noticed several different things too.  He and I had a good talk about it.  I love the temple.  The last few weeks I’ve been rereading The Holy Temple by Elder Packer.  I read a few pages each morning during my scripture study.  My mom gave me a really beautifully bound copy of it a few years ago for Christmas.  I read it once before I went through the temple for the first time, but I decided I wanted to read it again now that I’ve been going for a few years.  It means a lot more to me reading it now and I’m learning a lot.    

Yesterday Spencer got to go tubing and wakeboarding at the lake with his Deacon’s quorum.  Chad and I took the other kids to Skateland since it is included on our pogo pass.  Marlee really liked skating. 

Today the YM and YW in our ward got to serve at the Randolph house again.  I got to sit and sing with a lady named Denise.  She blessed my life so much being able to work with her.  She can’t communicate, but she participated by clapping her hands, and had a good time.  After it was all over and I was walking back with her she stopped and pulled me in front of her to give me a hug.  I felt the love of the Lord as she did that to me.  It feels SO good to serve those celestial spirits.  There were many times I couldn’t hold back the tears.  This afternoon I got asked to go down to the church to meet with a member of the bishopric.  I was asked to speak in church next Sunday.  I will be speaking with my friend Lindsey who serves as the Relief Society President.  I was given two topics, spiritual preparedness and how the strength of youth is for more than just youth.  Hopefully I can tie those two topics together nicely.  

My quote for today is from a primary song, "God gave us families to help us become what he wants us to be” (The Family Is of God).  Being part of a family is how we best learn to become like Christ and apply his teachings, especially when we don't agree.  In family life it is important to “Assume the best, and look for the good” (Aunt Nerita’s motto).   If you concentrate only on the bad instead of looking for the good you will find only the bad and not see the good.

Love,
Mindy



No comments: