Search This Blog

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Letter - All Good Comes From God, Be a Saver Not a Borrower

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Last week went well.  We were blessed that Chad got the 4th of July off of work on Monday.  That afternoon we went to the watch Finding Dory, it wasn’t my favorite movie.  That evening we went to my cousin Jaime (Caldwell) Shelton’s home for swimming, a BBQ, and fireworks.  It was fun to get to know her and her kids.

This week I’ve dusted off my violin and started working on a song my Mom asked my sisters, nieces and me to learn to play at the Flake reunion.  The song, “Fiddle Faddle”, is probably the most advanced piece I’ve ever learned.  I’ve set a goal to practice it three times each evening so I don’t make a fool of myself and so I can feel confident performing it.  I’ve improved a lot but I still have some trouble spots.  Normally I don’t enjoy playing the violin much, but as the week has progressed I’ve actually enjoyed learning this song and might try to learn a new song on the violin or viola after I perform at the reunion.

Wednesday morning I had the amazing opportunity to work as a volunteer with the Catholic Charities to help some refugees.  I met with Violetta—a social worker, or case manager, or whatever her title is who was a refugee herself 10 years ago—at a Walmart in Glendale to shop to set up an apartment for six men who are refugees from Cuba that would be arriving in Phoenix that afternoon.  We filled up three shopping carts with dishes, towels, bedding, cleaning supplies, and all the other basic things people need to set up a home.  After that we went to the apartment, carried everything up to the third story apartment and put everything in the rooms where they belonged.  Then we went to Fry’s and bought 1 ½ carts of food for them, probably enough food for about a week or so.  We went back to the apartment and carried everything into the apartment and put everything in the fridge and cupboards.  It was a great experience.  While we were shopping at Walmart I felt the spirit very strongly.  I remembered Elder Kearon’s promise when he said, “Seasoned members of the Church who have given years of service and leadership attest to the fact that ministering to these people so immediately in need has provided the richest, most fulfilling experience in their service so far” (Refuge from the Storm).  However, I did receive some opposition while leaving Walmart that bothered me quite a bit.

As we were walking out of the store Violetta stopped to have the Walmart greeter check her receipt to prove that she had paid for everything.  As I was standing there waiting to help push the carts out to her car, a man and woman noticed all our stuff and asked me if I was moving into a new place.  I told them that we were setting up an apartment for some refugees.  I could tell by the man’s expression that he didn’t like that very much but he didn’t say anything.  However, as the woman walked away she critically said something like, “you should help the people in our own country.”  It really bothered me.  I shouldn’t have let it bother me so much because it ruined the spirit I had felt earlier that day.  I thought about it a lot and this is my conclusion of the whole experience—“All things which are good cometh of God” (Moroni 7:12).  Satan is sneaky and when he can get us to criticize the good that others are doing he gains power. However, in the end he will not win. Good will triumph over evil.  I have a renewed desire to compliment and praise those who are doing any type of good and to bite my tongue and change my thoughts when I think something critical.

Thursday morning Spencer and I went to the temple.  He did baptisms while I did initiatories.  It was nice to do that together.  Friday Amy and David came to stay with us.  Our kids had fun playing on the waterslide and then we went to swim at the Lamoreaux’s and Josh jumped off the diving board!  Friday evening Amy and I attended Tyler Ann’s bridal shower and then went to Celeste’s to practice “Fiddle Faddle” with Celeste and my Mom.  Saturday was my niece Tyler Ann’s wedding.  It was a beautiful sealing.  It was fun to be in my temple with so many of my sibling.  I’m looking forward to the Flake Family reunion in two weeks when all of us will be together. 

This morning I had some thoughts about finances that I plan to teach my children.  The council I will give them is to be a saver not a borrower. Those who save can save others. Those who borrow can't. Those who are borrowers have already spent their money before it arrives and don't have the freedom to choose where they would like to spend it. 

 My quote today is from John Wayne.  “Life if tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid.”

Love,

Mindy

No comments: