Search This Blog

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Letter - Flake Reunion, Back to school

Sunday, July 31, 2016

I can hardly believe this is the last day of July.  This year is going by so quickly, but it has been a good one and there are several things I am looking forward to before the year ends--Bryant’s birthday in 13 days, a possible camping trip with old CO2 ward friends in August, a trip to Disneyland with Marlee and Brenda and the other eight year old cousins in September, a trip with our little family to Salt Lake for general conference and slowly vacationing our way back home, Halloween, Karalee’s birthday, Thanksgiving, Tilly’s birthday, Spencer’s birthday and Christmas!  Life is so nice when you have so many wonderful people to interact and celebrate with and to love.

Here is a report of some of our activities over the last three weeks that have passed since I’ve written.  Spencer spent July 11th – 15th at Round Valley high school for a team football camp.  He had a good time, but ended up breaking his finger.  He now will have to miss the first few games of the season while he lets it heal.  I’m beginning to wonder if football is worth all the injuries that come along with the game.  He loves it though, so he gets to make the choice.  He can’t get his finger splint wet and it is getting pretty gross.  Luckily we go in this Wednesday to get it changed.  Spencer has hired Bryant to help him with his lawn business so his splint won’t get all grassy.  They make a good team.  I’m sure thankful that they’re such good friends and that they work and play well with each other.




We spent the last two weekends in Snowflake.  Tyler Ann’s wedding reception in my parent’s barn was on July 15th.  It was so fun to see how Travis and Teresa transformed the barn into such a cute wedding reception venue.  I’m glad we were able to help out a little bit since Teresa did so much for mine and Chad’s wedding receptions.  On Saturday the 16th Chad and I took Rachel, Trey and all our kids minus Tilly (she didn’t want to go) to Clear Creek near Winslow.  We had a fun time jumping cliffs.  Karalee even jumped off Dragon’s head!!  I am so proud of her for doing something adventurous.  The evening of Sunday, July 17th we decided to bring Trey home with us since we would be heading back up to Snowflake the next weekend.  Trey was a fun guest and very helpful.  He’s welcome around our house anytime.  Last weekend was the Flake Family reunion and Snowflake Pioneer Day Celebration.  All of my siblings were able to attend.  It is our favorite time of the year so we are all there almost every single year.  The celebration theme this year was Snowflake’s musical heritage.  It was so fun to attend the town program to see the musical performances and see pictures of all the music teachers and musicians who were honored.  I’m so thankful to all those who live in Snowflake who work so hard to put on the celebration every year.  It is a lot of work for them.  Oh and my sisters, nieces and I played our violins in the Flake program and it went well, but I didn’t get a recording of it. I’m hoping Dean will send me his recording.

Reception picutres:











The chickens got to stay for the party.


Clear Creek group
Selfies with cousins at the Flake Rodeo:

Kate Me Jackie
Me, Steve, Jewel, Daliah and Maggie
Tom and me
Jacque, Mark, Richie's son, me Richie
Me and Sandi
Me, Uncle Steve, Aunt Sharla, Brenda, Kacie
Me and Sank
Me and Uncle Dean
Me, Dawniel, and Jon

Me and Teagan
Karalee and Rachel - best buds
Mom accompanying the Liberty Bells and the community choir
Beginning of the town rodeo
My kids started school last Tuesday, July 26th.  Spencer is a freshman (I have a high schooler!), Bryant is in 7th grade (His first year of junior high!), Karalee is in 4th grade, Marlee is in 2nd grade and Tilly will start preschool on Aug. 9th.  They enjoy their teachers.  I’ve been getting up earlier than I did last school year to exercise before we have family prayer and scriptures.  I’ve been kind of grumpy and have yelled a lot this week and it has trickled down to the kids yelling more too so I will have to learn to control my temper and not yell so much so we can have more peace in our home.  I like getting my exercise out of the way before the kids are all up though so I’ve got to learn to get used to getting up early.





Tilly's had her friend Emma come over to play twice last week while the big kids were at school.  She sure missed the big kids.

Tyler’s sister Annalyn had her baby on July 26th.  They named him Treigen.  He’s very cute. 




Last week I learned that one of Satan tools is to make us feel like we have no other choice but to disobey the commandments.  He is still trying to take away our agency.  However, I know that if we pray and turn to God, he will open a way for use to use our agency in harmony with His commandments.

My quotes today are from church today.  The first quote is from a sister missionary who reported her mission in sacrament meeting today. 
No matter where we are at spiritually we all need to repent daily and make adjustments to our lives.” 
The second quote is from our gospel doctrine lesson today.
“To be a righteous woman during the winding-up scenes on this earth, before the Second Coming of our Savior, is an especially noble calling. The righteous woman’s strength and influence today can be tenfold what it might be in more tranquil times. She has been placed here to help to enrich, to protect, and to guard the home--which is society’s basic and most noble institution. Other institutions in society may falter and even fail, but the righteous woman can help to save the home, which may be the last and only sanctuary some mortals know in the midst of storm and strife” (The Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, ed. Edward L. Kimball [1982], 326–27).
I know I can repent and do better, especially as a mother.  I fall short often, but I am not without hope.  I know Christ’s atonement is sufficient for me to make my weakness strong.  I am so thankful to be a wife and a mother.  It is a privilege and an honor.  I am working to give it my very best efforts.

Love,

Mindy

P.S.  Here are some pictures from 4 weeks ago.

Amy's family came to stay with us for a few days.

My brother Travis brought his boys over to play before Tyler Ann's wedding and he stayed too.  I'm sure glad my kids have good uncles to tease and love them.

Tyler Ann and her new husband Travis Parham

No comments: