Search This Blog

Sunday, July 3, 2016

Letter - Odd Jobs, Commandments are like Train Tracks

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Tomorrow is the 4th of July.  I wore red, white and blue to church today complete with red lipstick and red, white and blue toe nails.  Red lipstick always has and always will remind me of my Mom because she rarely goes anywhere without it.  She looks beautiful in it. 


I had fun giving Tilly, Marlee and myself patriotic pedicures yesterday evening.  (Karalee didn't want one.)

This week went well.  It was my boys last week of their sports and strength camps.  It has been busy for them and for me, but I think it was worth it.  They kept busy but still had time to do their chores at home and play some too.  It was definitely better than them playing video games or watching tv for the large part of the day which is what probably would have happened had they not done the camps.

Last Tuesday the kids and I went to swim at the Bowens.  The kids had fun playing the basketball game speed from the top of their rock waterfall.  That afternoon I got my hair cut again.  It has been two months since I cut it short so it was time to get it done again.  I don’t like the cut very well though.  It was thinned out too much and the top layers aren’t short enough, plus I had her try an A line cut and I don’t like the way it looks on me.  I am going to get it re-cut next week.

Wednesday I had to take Bryant into the orthodontist to get a bracket fixed that came off.  Since we were out around lunch time I took the kids to Chick-fil-a for lunch.  Spencer didn’t come with us though because he went to lunch with some friends at Tacos and More which is located across the street.  He has now paid off all the money he owes us for football camp and is keeping 40% of his lawn mowing money for spending money.  I’m proud of Spencer.  For the last few weeks Monday -Thursday he’s had 2 1/2 hours of football practice in the mornings then come home and mowed a lawn or two. Then three of those days he also went to 2 hours of basketball practice in the afternoons and then mowed another lawn or two. All in hot, hot weather!  He's a hardworking, strong young man.  Hopefully this will teach him to go to college and get a good education so he won’t have to do manual labor for a living.  When I tucked Tilly in to bed on Wednesday night I asked her if she wanted to get married in the temple. She said, "Yes I want to marry Westen. (Chad’s sister Heather’s son.) I want him to be my boyfriend." She was very sad when I told her she can't marry her cousin.

Spencer coming home from a lawn mowing job.  He had been out for a long time and it was getting late and he wasn't answering his phone so I went to check on him.  :)
Tilly and Westen
Thursday morning Heather took Tilly, Marlee and Karalee to the Basha High School pool with her kids.  I went to lunch at noon for visiting teaching.  Only one of our sisters ended up being able to make it, but it was a fun way to visit and get to know each other better.  I took my other sisters something during the month and have texted them several times to check up on them and let them know I was thinking of them.  Thursday afternoon Karalee got invited to go bowling with her friend Natalie Sedig.


Friday Heather and her kids came over for lunch and to play on the waterslide.  Karalee had Natalie come over and Bryant had Davin come over too.  Friday night Spencer and Bryant got to go on a date with Chad and me.  A few months ago, Bryant asked if he could go on a date with us if he read a stack of about 10-15 of our past issues of the Friend magazines.  He finished reading those this week so he got to go with us.  We decided to go to dinner and a movie.  Spencer asked if he could go too if he paid for his meal and his movie ticket.  We said that was ok with us as long as it was ok with Bryant since he had to read so much.  Bryant was agreeable to let Spencer go.  We ate a quick bite at In and Out Burger and then went to see “The BFG”.  I thought it was an excellent movie.  I have never read the book, but Chad suggested I read it to the girls before they see it when it comes out on vidangel.  

This time of year is a good time to earn some money while people are out of town.  Bryant has a job this week taking care of a dog while the owners are away.  They offered to pay him $10 a day to go to their house to feed and walk the dog each morning and each evening.  Spencer got a second job of watering shrubs for one of his lawn customer while he is out of town.  They are paying him $10 a day.  We also got asked to pet sit a little inside dog at our house for our neighbors over the long weekend.  They offered to pay $40.  If we accept the money maybe we’ll let the girls split it since they don’t get hired out yet and they’ve looked out for the dog so well.  We figured pet sitting the little inside dog was a good way to let the kids get a taste of having a dog without having to get a dog.  It worked.  They realized that dogs are stinky, especially their breath, even if it is a clean inside dog.  Now they don’t want a dog.  However, they are having some fun with it even though it is stinky so we will probably pet sit for them again for short periods of time. 

Sammy, the little dog we are pet sitting.  She looks like she is either missing her family, or needs a break from our crazy family.
Spencer called and set apart as the Teacher’s quorum secretary.  The bishop gave him a nice blessing when he set him apart.

I took this picture of Marlee last week.  You can often find her doing some sort of coloring or craft project.  She had made that little head band with the three feathers in the back and was working on something else.  She often leaves me little notes with a picture of me and her that says, "I love you Mom".  She is so sweet.
My quote today is from me!  It was a thought I had yesterday morning when I was unsuccessfully trying to sleep in.  “Commandments are like train tracks. They help us reach our desired destination. They are not limiting. When we get off the tracks and derail ourselves from the commandments we are limited.” 

Love,
Mindy

P.S.  I wish my dear brother Tyler a happy birthday since it is his birthday on Tuesday.  He is kind, and fun and a great cowboy.

No comments: