Search This Blog

Friday, November 7, 2008

Pinching Your Pennies

About 3 months ago I got a subscription of the Sunday paper for the coupons (Actually I get 5 of them for about $23 a month) and I started using a free web site called Pinching your Pennies that shows me where my coupons match the sales for my grocery shopping. It has been some extra work, but I have really saved a lot so it has been worth it. (I don’t even shop at a ton of stores. Only Fry’s about once a week and maybe one other store if they have great deals.) This week has been especially good because my coupons have now built up over the last few months and the stores are having great deals. Today I got such great deals that I wanted to write a post about it.

This is what I bought today at Fry's:

6 boxes of Hefty Storage Bags
6 boxes of Lucky Charms
4 boxes of Cinnamon Toast Crunch
2 bottles of Shout stain remover
10 boxes of Fruit Snacks and Roll ups
5 boxes of instant mashed potatoes
5 pouches of instant mashed potatoes
1 container of whipped topping
10 cans of evaporated milk
1 bag of Honey BBQ Fritos
2 bags of Cheetos
5 boxes of Swiss miss hot chocolate
1 box of pudding
1 container of Quaker oats
8 packages of Stayfree Maxi Pads 24 ct.

This is what I spent: $40.35

I saved $42.60 with my coupons from the paper, I saved $30 by buying the things that were in the multiple of 10 sale, and I saved $88.95 with my VIP card savings, for a total of $161.55 in savings. (Although the VIP saving don’t really count in my opinion because everyone gets that.)

I was so happy with my shopping trip except for the fact that when I got home I realized that I had a couple more coupons that could have saved me $12 more dollars since Fry’s is matching all competitor coupons right now, but I can use them next shopping trip so it's not a total waste. I also didn't really want the swiss miss hot chocholate, but I needed 5 more items because when I was checking out I learned that 5 of the things I got weren't in the sale that get you $5 off and they were the closest items in the special sale to the register and were only $.50 a piece. So I have more to learn, but I am having a lot of fun racking up the savings and filling up my pantry!!

If any of you are interested in starting I would be happy to help you out if you have questions.

3 comments:

Deanne said...

I love saving money when grocery shopping. I haven't decided to get the Denver post here though. Maybe I should look into it. There is just not as much shopping here.

Jennifer said...

I used to do this with Coupon Sense! I got such a rush when I went shopping and saved more than I spent! I also loved that my cupboards and closets were always FULL!

Have fun saving!

The Hoopers said...

Way to go! I love saving money. I've thought about doing that, maybe I'll give it a try.