Search This Blog

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Apple Fritters

A few weeks ago while I was looking for a recipe in my recipe book that I compiled for a Young Women's project while I was in high school, I came across my Mom's fritter recipe. I remembered how much I loved it when she made applesauce fritters for breakfast so I made a mental note to make fritters for my kids sometime soon.

I made the fritters this morning and they were so good I decided to write about them and share them. The were defiantly not on my diet, but sometimes you have to create a food memory for your kids even if it isn't on your diet. Can you tell that I love to eat? I also happened to marry someone who REALLY loves to eat so it was fun to make something new for him too.

Here is what my family thought about the fritters:
  • Chad said they were really good, he went back for seconds so I know he wasn't just being polite.
  • Spencer loved them.
  • Bryant didn't get to try any fritters because yesterday he threw a fit and was disrespectful to me and so he had to eat beans for his next three meals. (Thanks Shon and Pam for the bean idea.) Don't feel too sorry for Bryant, I will make the fritters again sometime so he can try them.
  • Karalee didn't care for them, but she doesn't like breakfast much and she really doesn't like sweet syrupy things for breakfast. (Unfortunately she didn't get that from me.)
  • Marlee liked the fritters.



The recipe:

Fritter Batter
1 1/3 c flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 c milk
1 beaten egg

Stir in desired fruit (I used about a cup of apple sauce, I didn't measure it), vegetable (My mom used to make corn fritters with left over corn from Sun. dinner, but I like the applesauce fritters better), or meat (I have never had fritters with meat, it sounds kind of gross to me). Drop from tablespoon into deep, hot oil. (375*) Fry 2 to 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Break open and sprinkle with powdered sugar and drizzle with syrup. Enjoy!

No comments: