Search This Blog

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Letter - Hard Week

October 25, 2015

This has been a hard week.  Chad had surgery on Tuesday.  He wrote a letter all about it so I won’t go into those details.  It was a nerve racking day for me.  I felt like Chad would come out of the anesthesia fine, but I prayed so hard that they would be able to repair his meniscus.  If his tears were too bad they wouldn’t have been able to repair it and his knee would give him lots of trouble as he got older and it would prevent him from playing sports as long as he would like.  Sports are his stress relief so I really prayed hard his knee could be repaired. 

The first couple of days after the surgery were quite rough.  Chad was quite weak and in a lot of pain.  His pain killers didn’t seem to do a whole lot for him.  He has progressively gotten stronger and is not in pain anymore.

Thursday was a really rough day for me.  I had a hard morning with Karalee and Marlee before they left for school.  They both went to school mad.  I literally had to carry Marlee to the carpool car while she was kicking and screaming.  She was throwing a huge fit about her shoes.  I felt terrible that both the girls left mad and I knew that I could have handled things better.  Later that morning I had an appointment with Dr. Beck, my ob/gyn, to make sure I had miscarried completely.  (While we were in Mexico I started bleeding instead of just spotting so I was pretty sure I had miscarried.)  The miscarriage is complete and I am glad that it is all over, but it was really emotional for me.  I had to come home from the appointment and have a good cry about it.  A lot of the emotion probably stemmed from feeling so badly about the fights with the girls that morning and from the stress and worry about Chad’s surgery that week.  Thursday afternoon I had a good talk with Karalee and then another one with Marlee and I apologized for the things I could have done better and we worked things out. 

Friday was a good day.  I drove Chad to physical therapy.  He’s not supposed to drive for 6 weeks since he is not supposed to put any weight on his right leg, but he really didn’t like that and he’s already figured out a way to drive himself around.  Later that morning I went to lunch with a few friends to celebrate Cydnie Pillion’s birthday.  It was nice to visit with my friends. 

Yesterday I had a busy morning because I had a two hour stake auxiliary training meeting before the kids’ soccer games.  I got home in time to fix the girls hair for their games and then we left.  On the way to the fields I realized I had left my phone at home.  After walking to the one of furthest soccer fields, I sat down to watch Marlee play only to realize that I was pretty sure I was supposed to bring after game snacks for Marlee’s team. (I hate the tradition of snacks at each game by the way.)  Since I had left my phone at home I couldn’t check to make sure.  I asked the mom who set it all up and sure enough I was supposed to bring the snacks.  I felt like such a looser mom.  Thankfully my friend was able to bail me out because her husband was coming late and he was able to grab some snacks at the store but I couldn’t shake the feeling of being such a looser since I didn’t keep my commitment to bring the snacks.   It’s been too stressful of a week!  Usually I can shake those things off and know that I’ll do better next time but I felt quite depressed for most of the day.  Then my friend Nicole Rudd, who happens to be our stake relief society president, dropped by to bring me some cookies and a nice note because she’d read my Facebook post on Thursday where I had felt so badly about the bad morning with my girls.  She said she’d meant to come by on Thursday or Friday but hadn’t gotten to it.  Her timing of the note couldn’t have been better though.  She lifted my spirits and I know that Heavenly Father inspired her to come help me through a rough day.

Today has been a good day.  I don’t feel depressed anymore and I’m ready for a new week.  I’m looking forward to our ward Halloween “Extravaganza” this Friday night.  We’re having a chili cook-off, carnival games and a trunk or treat.  Chad is making dry ice root beer and dry ice red cream soda--he has some helpers to do all the lifting a stirring since he’s laid up.  He’ll manage them and explain what to do. 

My quote for today is from Elder Holland, “To all mothers in every circumstance, including those who struggle—and all will—I say, ‘Be peaceful. Believe in God and yourself. You are doing better than you think you are. In fact, you are saviors on Mount Zion, and like the Master you follow, your love ‘never faileth’’” (Behold Thy Mother).  I sure needed these words this week.

Love,
Mindy


No comments: