Search This Blog

Sunday, April 24, 2016

letter from April 10th

April 10, 2016

Only 10 more days until my birthday!!  I’ll be 37.  Weird because I don’t feel that old.  I don’t mind getting old, but I am not looking forward to the aches and pains that often accompany old age.

This week has gone well.  There are two particular things I would like to record today.  The first happened in the Temple on Tuesday when I went to do sealings while Tilly was playing with her friend Emma Wamsley.  When I got to the sealing office they decided to put me in a sealing session with a group that was already in progress.  As I was waiting in the hallway waiting for the sealing in progress to finish up and the door to open up, I imagined the people who were about to have their work done waiting in a similar room in heaven.  I imagined that they would be very excited that it was almost there turn to have their work done.  I started to feel their excitement.  The rest of the session I felt as if the spirits of those we were sealing were very close.  It was a neat experience.

The second thing happened on Wednesday.  While I was walking on the treadmill I listened to some talks from the General Women’s broadcast.  In Sister Burton’s talk “I Was a Stranger”, she said, “‘What you have done is a very good thing. Now go home, walk across the street, and serve your neighbor!’”  While listening to that part I remembered that when I heard that part of the talk a couple weeks ago I had the prompting that I should go over to the care home where Puring used to live and visit with some of the residents there.  I decided I would do it that day.  Tilly and I went later that afternoon.  After awkwardly visiting for about 10-15 minutes (I never know what to say or do while I’m there) Tilly and I left to go home.  One of the employees there walked me out and she asked, “Are you LDS?”  I said yes.  She told me that she was LDS and wanted to go to church again.  She spoke mainly Spanish and asked if I knew of a Spanish branch very close since she doesn’t have a car.  Her brother who works there came to talk to me too and help translate for her.  He is also a member and speaks English better.  I told them the closest Spanish branch I knew about was in Queen Creek, but that she was welcome to come to our ward with our family.  He couldn’t get off work, but she had already arranged her schedule to get off.  She was very excited.  He said that she has missed church so much and was just happy to go to take the sacrament even if she couldn’t understand everything.  I really felt that Heavenly Father led me to that house to meet that Miguel and Norma. 

I don’t not share these things to boast, I just feel very excited to have been part of the Lord’s work and to feel Heavenly Father directing me.  Norma came to have dinner with us last night.  We were supposed to feed the missionaries too, but they had to cancel.  Norma let us know that she ended up having to work today and couldn’t go to church with us, but she hopes to be able to go next week.

Well other than that I only have a couple of other things to report.  Karalee got her ears pierced.  We got it done after women’s conference on March 26th.  Heather and Braelee came with us. Karalee was pretty scared, but was brave after her cousin Emma Plastow told her about her experience getting her ear’s pierced. 

This week I got my hair cut pretty short.  It was getting so long and heavy.  I haven’t had time to fix it and wear it down but one or two times a month and with the hot weather coming on I knew that I wouldn’t want to wear it down at all so I decided to chop it off.  When I made that decision I wanted it done that day so I ran over to great clips to get it cut.  That wasn’t the best idea.  There are a few spots that need to be fixed because they look funky.  Luckily when I wear it curly you can’t tell.  My friend Carli Patterson will come and fix the parts they messed up on Wednesday morning.  I should have been patient and waited for her in the first place.

I’ll conclude with another quote from Sister Burton’s talk “I Was a Stranger”.  “As we consider the ‘pressing calls’ of those who need our help, let’s ask ourselves, ‘What if their story were my story?’ May we then seek inspiration, act on impressions we receive, and reach out in unity to help those in need as we are able and inspired to do so.”

Love,

Mindy

No comments: