Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Great Books

Since my Dad’s passing I have read two wonderful books that are about near death experiences. The first one I read is called I Saw Heaven by Lawrence E. Tooley the second book is called The Message by Lance Richardson. Both of them were excellent, but I think I like I Saw Heaven a little bit better. They both comforted me have given me a greater desire to live better.

I am going to share some quotes from The Message. (I didn’t take time to write down any quotes from I Saw Heaven.)
  • “Thank God we are not allowed to see the future. How often we would seek to change the course, not realizing the need for such opposition.”
  • “Certain members of each family chose, long ago, before this life, to die and come to this realm that they might better help their families endure the challenges to come. … There are many powerful, wonderful spirits who are being called home right now, that they can better help their families prepare for that which is about to take place in your world. One of the major reasons many of us are here [Spirit World] is to serve and help those in mortality. Remember that word ‘serve’ for it is a vital part of our world, and can change yours.”

When I read that last passage I was moved to tears. I thought of my son Joseph, my Dad, and my brother Darin who have already passed. I know that they were powerful spirits and that they will help the rest of the family endure what will come.

I have really been fascinated with stories and experiences about life after death. They really make me want to do better and to be a better person. That is probably a big reason why Joseph Smith said, “All men know that they must die. And it is important that we should understand……our departure hence……It is but reasonable to suppose that God would reveal something in reference to the matter, and it is a subject we ought to study more than any other. We ought to study it day and night, for the world is ignorant in reference to their true condition and relation. If we have any claim on our Heavenly Father for anything, it is for knowledge on this important subject.” Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith, p 211

2 comments:

Melis said...

I love the new look, and Thank you so much for the enlightenment! Those books sound great! You amaze me with your strenght. I have always admired your outlook on life. You're amazing!

Deanne said...

Jake and I just talked about some of this the other night. We are only here for such a short while and alot depends on this time. It makes me want to be better too.