Search This Blog

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Sealing Session with a General Authority, Halloween, Karalee's Birthday


Sunday, November 03, 2013
3:42pm
Last Monday I took it pretty easy all morning after my busy week last week I played with the girls and surfed blogs and caught up on Facebook.  However, I had a huge mountain of laundry to tackle because of Chad’s and Spencer’s camping gear.  I took a picture of it because it was a pretty impressive mountain, but I accidentally deleted it so you’ll have to use your imagination.  While I was wasting time on the computer Marlee came up to me and said, “Mom, I did something bad.”  I asked her, “What did you do?”  She said, “I wrote on the wall with a permanent marker.”  I’m so proud of myself, I didn’t yell at her!  I calmly walked her to her room while I got something for her to scrub the wall with.  After she scrubbed unsuccessfully for about five minutes I scrubbed for a while and when it still wouldn’t come off I remembered Brenda said lemon essential oil will take off anything.  And she was right.  It worked like a charm.  Too bad my patience wore thin and I wasn’t as calm later that day because I yelled really badly at Bryant for something really dumb Monday evening while we were making homemade pizza.  I yelled at him for something he tried to do to help fix dinner (I had just asked Marlee not to do it, but he hadn’t heard me) I really hurt his feelings badly and had repent and ask him to forgive me.  I don’t like to be a yelling mom.  It’s ugly and makes me feel kind of … dirty I guess.  I’m working on it though.  Monday afternoon after school, Spencer tore down the rest of the swing set.  I really didn’t want to worry about finishing that project that day because I was trying to take it easy, but he was having so much fun ripping it apart (the wood was so old it just crumbled) I decided to let him keep at it and we got it all taken down, cleaned up and put away.
Tuesday Puring’s discussion went well.  The missionaries taught her about the word of wisdom.  The only thing she has a problem with is coffee.  She said, “I had coffee this morning, I won’t drink it anymore.”  Then later on she started talking about drinking milk and then stopped herself and asked worriedly, “Is milk ok?” We assured her it was.  We all had a good laugh.  I was amazed at Puring’s faith to commit to living the word of wisdom so quickly.  While I was listening to some conference talks one morning on my walk a quote from Elder Nelson’s talk reminded me of her.  He said, “Stellar spirits are often housed in imperfect bodies.”  Puring is frail, she is on dialysis three times a week and is kind of old, but she has a stellar spirit.  Tuesday night Chad put our swing set together (Spencer and I helped a little), it was delivered that morning and we were excited for our kinds to start using it.

 
 
Wednesday I had a very special experience in the temple.  I did a sealing session and Elder LeSueur, an Area Seventy of the church, who also happens to be my former Stake President and who has recently been called as the new Gilbert Temple President, was in the session participating and getting trained as a temple worker.  When I first walked in (I joined a group already in progress) I recognized Elder LeSueur and thought, wow that’s cool to be able to do a session with a general authority.  As I participated in the session and listened closely to the prayers, I again noticed something in the sealing of husband to wife that I hadn’t noticed before.  I was able to ask the sealer some questions about it and then after the session was over, I introduced myself to Pres. LeSueur and he taught me more about the questions I asked.  It was a very special experience for me.  I don’t want to post what he taught me because then his words can be forwarded along without his consent and because the experience was special to me, but if you’d like to hear about it I can share the experience with you in person or over the phone. 
Wednesday afternoon my visiting teachers came to visit me.  I love the visiting teaching program.  I’ve made so many good friends through it and I’ve gotten good ideas of how to be a better wife, mother, member of the church, etc.  Wednesday evening all three kids had soccer practice, Chad had to work late and he had a tournament basketball game too.  I took all of the kids, except Spencer because he still had practice, to Chad’s game; we got to the game before Chad did because he got stuck in a work meeting.  Chad finally got there at half time and his team was only ahead by one point.  Chad helped build up an eighteen point lead.  However, they only ended up winning by about five points.  This was Chad’s first tournament game this season.  He plays again this Wednesday.  They are going to finish the tournament that night so if they keep winning they will end up playing three games that night.  I’m sure Chad will be so tired if they end up playing that many games.   
We had my visiting teacher's son stay to play with Marlee after our appointment was over.  They get along really well.
Thursday we had a nice Halloween.  Marlee has dressed up as three different thinks this year.  At our ward trunk or treat she was a pumpkin witch (it was a witch costume with orange on it so I call it a pumpkin witch), at her preschool party she was a fairy princess, and on Halloween night she wore a different witch costume.  Spencer dressed up as a zombie soccer player, Bryant was a ninja with a mustache, Karalee was a pumpkin witch and Tilly was Chicken Little.  Halloween was also the 13th anniversary of Chad’s and my engagement.  I didn’t realized what day it was until I got ready to write him a little love note on the box of salted caramel macadamia clusters that he loves and I’d bought him at Costco that day.  So I turned my love note into a happy anniversary love note.  J  By the way, if you haven’t tried those caramel macadamia clusters from Costco yet, you should, they are SO good.

Fairy Princess

Marlee with some of her preschool friends.


We are trick-or-treating a Puring's house.  She was so happy to have us come.


Ninja with a mustache

Zombie soccer player

Pumpkin witch
 Friday was Karalee’s seventh birthday.  We had a fun filled day, with our beautiful daughter.  You can read more about her special day HERE on my blog.  I’m so thankful to be her mother.  She teaches me a lot.  Friday night Spencer had a soccer game.  Josh stayed the night with Karalee at our house and Marlee stayed the night with Mary at her house.  I also watch my friend Michelle’s daughter Victoria overnight since Michelle had to work really late. 
Yesterday was a trying day for me.  Karalee woke me up early whining to me, my neck hurt most of the night and so I didn’t sleep well, the kids had a busy schedule that I taxied them too all day long, and Chad had to work most of the day.  The day ended well though.  Chad took me on a nice date and I went to bed while Chad swept and mopped for me (That’s our Saturday night, after the kids are in bed chore).  I slept very well last night and my neck is feeling much better today.  Life is always so much more pleasant with a good night’s sleep!
Today I had a rough day on the organ.  I started the introduction to the closing song and I played a bunch of wrong notes so I stopped and started over, but sadly that’s not the worst of it.  As I tried to start again, I hit the wrong cord, not once, but like three more times.  I was so embarrassed.  There was nothing to be done though, I had to keep going.  At least I finished strong!  I’m not sure what happened.  It’s like my brain and fingers went dead for a while.  Sadly that’s not the first time I’ve been embarrassed during a piano/organ performance/accompaniment and I’m sure it won’t be the last time.  Oh well, I’m over it. 
I realized today that my nephew Hayden’s mission farewell and our ward’s primary program are both next week.  I hadn’t put two and two together that they were on the same day until it dawned on me during the announcements this afternoon.  Now we aren’t going to be able to go up to Snowflake to listen to Hayden speak.  I’m pretty sad, but I’m excited to listen to my kids in our ward.  Bryant was assigned a one minute talk and he wrote a very nice talk.  Spencer will be singing with seven other children the second verse of We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet.  Karalee will be singing The Family with her primary class.
I got a new calling today.  I am the ward music chairman for the temple cultural celebration.  I’m VERY excited.  I’ll be teaching the youth in my ward the songs for the celebration.  I’ve been hoping to be able to help with the music for the temple dedication or cultural celebration in some way.  I really have hopes to be in the choir or to be asked to play the organ in one of the temple dedication sessions too, but after today’s fiasco on the organ, maybe that’s not such a good idea.  But if they ask, I’ll do it and I’ll practice, practice, practice.
My quote for today is from Elder Dube’s conference talk, Look Ahead and Believe.  “President Boyd K. Packer, President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, once attended an ox pulling contest, where he drew out an analogy. He said of the experience: ‘A wooden sledge was weighted with cement blocks: ten thousand pounds [4,535 kg]—five tons. … The object was for the oxen to move the sledge three feet [91 cm]. … I noticed a well-matched pair of very large, brindled, blue-gray animals … [the] big blue oxen of seasons past.’  In speaking about the result of the contest, he said: ‘Teams were eliminated one by one. … The big blue oxen didn’t even place! A small, nondescript pair of animals, not very well matched for size, moved the sledge all three times.’  He was then given an explanation to the surprising outcome: ‘The big blues were larger and stronger and better matched for size than the other team. But the little oxen had better teamwork and coordination. They hit the yoke together. Both animals jerked forward at exactly the same time and the force moved the load.’  As we look ahead and believe, we need this same teamwork in hastening the work of salvation as we invite others to come unto Christ.” 
I know that if we follow the promptings of the Lord and work together with the missionaries we will be blessed with ways to share the gospel of Christ and the Plan of Happiness with other.  We don’t have to be the biggest, best matched, best looking, or most talented to do the work.  We just have to be humble and willing and the Lord will bless our efforts and magnify our meager offerings. 
Love,
Mindy

Yesterday afternoon during Tilly's nap I took my camera outside and took lots of pictures of the kids playing with their neighbor friends.  I just realized there's lots of pictures of Karalee, probably because it was her special week.
 














Last night we had our yearly neighborhood Fall Shindig put on by the HOA.  The girls had fun in the petting zoo.  


 

No comments: