Search This Blog

Monday, April 7, 2014

Conference Recap

I love the questions at the end of our conference journal page:

  • My favorite part of this session was?
  • This session taught me to follow Jesus by...
I think they really help us to internalize what we've heard in the session.  Here are my boy's notes and responses. 
Bryant -- Favorite part:  When the prophet told about a story of a seamstress.
Taught me to follow Jesus by... teaching me to give gratitude and have good actions to live with him again.   
Here is the back of Bryant's conference journal page.  I love to see the parts of the talk that stood out to my kids.  
Spencer -- Favorite part: When William R. Walker talked about the cultural celebration practice and living true to the Faith.
Taught me to follow Jesus by... Repenting and reading the scriptures and forgiving others.

My favorite part of conference was when the speakers told of how we can protect ourselves and our families.  Specifically Sis. Reeves talk and Elder Neil L. Anderson's talk  where they said the Book of Mormon will "protect families and strengthen relationships" (Reeves) and offer "powerful protection from the whirlwinds of life" (Anderson).  I felt like we were warned that there is going to be more persecution and harder times ahead, but was grateful they gave us ways to be protected and ways to protect our families.  I look forward to studying the talks over the next six months to find more ways to be protected.

I also liked the times when they mentioned the Gilbert Temple Cultural Celebration and dedication.  Saturday in between sessions Bryant had a flag football game at Discovery Park.  While sitting watching his team play I remembered when the park was filled with thousands of youth sacrificing, rehearsing and performing to celebrate the new temple.  I felt like I was sitting on Holy ground.

I also loved watching the quorum of the twelve meeting their wives as the session ended and they left the conference center. Particularly after the first session when Elder Bednar's wife gave him a kiss and said something that looked like, "you did a great job on your talk."  I think the wives of the quorum of the twelve are great unsung heroes.

From conference I learned that by doing the things listed below I can follow Jesus.

  1. reading the scriptures, particularly the Book of Mormon, 
  2. being kind, 
  3. forgiving others, 
  4. not ridiculing or bullying, 
  5. going to the temple, 
  6. leaving an inheritance of hope
  7. letting my faith show,
  8. righteously influencing others,
  9. being obedient,
  10. following the right path,
  11. learning from other's perspectives,
  12. doing family history,
  13. being grateful,
  14. following up
  15. praying
  16. following impressions,
  17. helping others do their best,
  18. letting the lord's yoke help with my load/burdens, and realizing that bearing a load or having burdens is an essential part of a celestial life,
  19. loving and serving, especially in our own homes,
  20. learning the conversion stories of my forefathers,
  21. being sensitive to spiritual tugs,
  22. today's complexity needs greater simplicity,
  23. the family is the pattern of heaven,
  24. refocusing our priorities, material things don't matter,
  25. asking in faith and believe, study it out, experiment on the word,
  26. Christ's victory over death ended the human predicament.  Now there are only personal predicaments, but he can heal those too,
  27. doing a little better,
  28. loving those who do not share our standards (that includes those in the church too).

No comments: