Search This Blog

Friday, April 11, 2014

A More Personal Relationship with the Savior

Remember back in March when I shared about this program that my ward Relief Society is doing?  I've been slacking a bit, but I want to do better.  Here are my journal entries about the program and about the scriptures that we've already done.


March 21, 2014

I just got this journal at a Relief Society meeting last night.  I am looking forward to this activity.  I think it will bring "significant and subtle blessings".  I just finished entering the dates and scriptures into my calendar on my phone so I will remember to read the assigned scripture every day, along with my normal scripture study.

April 11, 2014

I'm playing catch up today.  I realized that I haven't recorded any thoughts about any of the scriptures we've already studied in this program thus far, and to be honest I've probably only read the assigned scriptures one or two times during the week they were assigned.  I still really like this program and feel it will bring "significant and subtle blessings" so I commit to do better from now on.  Here are my thoughts about each of the scriptures we've already studied:
  • Helaman 5:12 - "And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall."  This is one of my all-time favorite scriptures.  One day a few years ago while I was in the temple and I had a long wait to get into do initiatories, I committed this scripture to memory for the second time in my life.  (The first time was when I was in high school seminary.)  My kids also memorized this scripture for our scripture of the month.  I love this scripture because it teaches me that Christ will always be more powerful than Satan.  Good will ultimately triumph over evil.  If I build my foundation upon Christ there is nothing that Satan can throw out at me that I cannot overcome.  I will have hope and faith and happiness instead of misery, fear and "endless wo" if I am founded on "our Reedemer, who is Christ, the Son of God."
  • St. John 14:23-27 - "Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.  He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father’s which sent me.  These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.  But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.  Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."  If we love God we will do what he's asked and commanded us to do.  Then Heavenly Father will love us by coming unto us.  He will come unto us by sending the Holy Ghost.  God can't fully love us unless we allow Him to be present in our lives by qualifying for the presence of the Holy Ghost.  While we don't have to merit his Grace, we do have to merit the Gift of the Holy Ghost.  His Grace will help us overcome the things that keep us from the presence of the Holy Ghost.  We need to let God love us.  His love is always there for the taking but sometimes we won't let Him in to show us His love.  The Holy Ghost will teach us all things that will help us to build our foundations on Christ.  As a result we can have peace not troubled hearts or fear.
  • 3 Nephi 13:14-21 - "For, if ye forgive men their trespasses your heavenly Father will also forgive you; But if ye forgive not men their trespasses neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.  Moreover, when ye fast be not as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance, for they disfigure their faces that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, they have their reward.  But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thy head, and wash thy face; That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father, who is in secret; and thy Father, who seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.  Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and thieves break through and steal; But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal.  For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." These scriptures make me think about motives and doing things for the right reasons.  In this day and age where Facebook and blogs are popular and prevalent it is easy to post about good things you've done and expect instant praise.  It's also easy to see someone else post about the good things they've done and to judge them because you think they are not sincere and are only doing things to get praise.  It is also easy to judge those who are judging other.  I've been guilty of all of these things at one time or another in my life.  However, I've come to realize that no one, except the Lord, can know my motives.  Only the Lord knows someone else's motives.  He is the only one who knows the thoughts and intents of our hearts.  When we see others posting about the good they've done maybe its because they want to share what has brought them joy and happiness.  Maybe they were trying to teach.  Maybe they hesitated to share anything at all for fear of being judged.  Only the Lord knows and only the Lord's judgement matters.  Thank goodness for that!!  We need to have charity towards others--assume the best about them and look for the good in them.

1 comment:

Jewel said...

What a wonderful program!