Search This Blog

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Letter - Coming of Age Trip, General Conference, Embrace the Gospel

Sunday, April 06, 2014
4:06pm

This week has been wonderful.  Not so busy.  We had things to do but we also had time to be flexible and we didn’t have to continually rush on to the next activity.  That is how I like life.  That is how life was meant to be.

Monday I had my windshield replaced…again.  I had it replaced about two weeks ago and before they started the job I noticed a defect on the edge of the glass.  When I questioned it the man installing it assured me it would be fine.  Just as he finished installing it he decided to test the area I questioned to make sure it would be ok and the windshield cracked.  It was kind of funny that I drove around with a bigger crack after I had my windshield replaced than I did before it was replaced.  Oh well.  It’s all better now.  They made it right.  I figured they would and I didn’t want to make a big stink about it.  Monday Tilly and I took Chad’s truck to get washed since he was working from home and the windshield company gave us free washes for all the trouble they caused.  Marlee was playing at her friend Joslyn’s house.  Monday night Marlee gave us a Family Home Evening lesson about Apostles.  Tilly picked rolly polly for the activity.  It was fun.  Chad got her giggling and it was contagious.



Tuesday afterschool was a bit over scheduled.  Spencer met with a merit badge counselor to pass off citizenship in the nation and citizenship in the world.  Bryant had cub scouts.  We had dinner and cleaned it up quickly so I could get to my stake interview for my temple recommend renewal then go straight to Young Women’s.  There was a line already formed at the stake center for recommend interviews even though I got there before they started so I was a bit late to young women’s which made me feel a bit frustrated.  But since my recommend expired on Monday I didn’t want to leave and wait until the next Stake interviews because then I would be even longer without a recommend.  It put me at odds with my conscience though because I once learned that when you’re late it’s like saying that your time is more valuable than other people’s.  I didn’t want to be late, but I didn’t want to be without a recommend.  The other young women leaders understood about me being late, but they had to wait to start until I got there because I had all the stuff for our chalkboard praise activity.   Oh well.  I ended up being 5-10 minutes late.  I’ll try to have better prior proper planning in the future.  Chad had a basketball game that night.  He was recruited to play on this team because one of their teammates got hurt.  So now he’s playing basketball on Tuesday nights and flag football on Thursday nights.  Luckily his basketball games are really late on Tuesday nights so he can go after Spencer and/or I get home from Mutual.  I don’t really like him being gone two nights a week playing sports.  I like to have help getting the kids to bed at night and I like having some time together, so we talked about how I felt.  I know he didn’t seek out to play a second night of the week.  They came to him in a bind.  I also know how much he loves to play sports and I love that he loves to play sports and it’s a good stress reliever for him.  He needs to finish out the season with both of these teams.  He shouldn’t leave the teams high and dry.  I guess absence makes the heart grow fonder.

I tried a cute new hairstyle on Marlee.  I saw a little girl and Legoland with this hairdo and I've been dying to try it on my girls.

I was rocking Bryant Tuesday night (he is my baby boy after all).  Plus he'd gotten mad at me since I took away his video game time for a few days for being disrespectful so we needed to love each other for awhile. 
Tilly came up and said you can't rock him he's a BOY then climbed on my lap to kick him off. She's not going to let anyone take her place as the baby.

Wednesday I got to take the kids to meet Amy’s baby Sally Ann.  They had a good time playing with Amy’s kids and holding the baby.  Spencer, Marlee and Tilly were excited to hold the baby.  I had to bribe Bryant and Karalee so I could get a picture.  J






Bryant had a football scrimmage Thursday night.  They scrimmaged near a park so the kids had lots of fun at the park while I watched Bryant and his team.  Chad’s flag football team lost their first game Thursday night.  He’s looking forward to playing them again in the tournament when his team will have some of the player back from being injured.       

Friday the kids had a half day since it was the end of the grading period.  We went with a bunch of friends from school to a park nearby.  The kids spent a couple of hours playing while I visited with the other Moms.  It was nice.  Friday night Chad and I went to eat at Hong Kong Kitchen for date night.  Delish. 






Yesterday morning Chad and Spencer flew to Salt Lake so they could attend Spencer’s first Priesthood session in the conference center, which is a family tradition for the Sanders.  I love it.  It’s a special coming of age trip.  The other kids and I had fun watching conference here at home.  You can read about what we did to make it so fun HERE.  Chad and Spencer flew back home this afternoon and reported that they had a great time.  I look forward to when Bryant will get to go on his special coming of age trip with Chad and then I especially look forward to when I’ll take the girls on their trip when they turn twelve.  Since they now have eight year olds go to Women’s conference I thought about taking the girls when they turn eight, but decided I prefer to wait until they are Young Women.  This weekend while Chad was out of town I noticed that I’m very independent and I can get along just fine without him; however I greatly prefer to be by his side and to be together.    

General conference this weekend was wonderful.  I noticed on Saturday that Sister Reeves and Elder Anderson both said that the Book of Mormon offers protection.  Several other speakers over the whole conference also talked about the importance reading the scriptures.  During Elder Cook’s talk about hastening the work of family history he talked about having a family history gathering where people bring cherished mementos and share stories of their ancestors.  I would love to do at our reunions in the future.  I’ll have to ask Tyler if we can do it at the William J. Flake reunion program this summer since he’s the president of the family organization right now.  I really enjoyed Elder Stevenson’s talk about the Olympians and how he related it to our earth life.  During Elder Walker’s talk he asked if we knew the conversion stories of our fore fathers.  I decided it would be good if I read a chapter from the books we have about our ancestors to my kids each Sunday.     
          
Standing up to sing the rest hymn during the Sunday morning session.
Playing with the bubbles the girls got in our conference store in between sessions.


My quote for today is from one of our Laurel lessons a couple of weeks ago.  One of my laurels was teaching and we read this quote.  “Sisters, please embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ! Learn to love your Heavenly Father with all your heart, might, and mind. Fill your souls with virtue, and love goodness. Always strive to bring out the best in yourself and others” (Uchtdorf, Your Happily Ever After, May 2010 Ensign).  After we read that quote I shared with the laurels how just that morning I noticed the big difference in the two trees that we planted last year in our yard.  When we planted the trees they were almost exactly the same size.  Now one of the trees is over a foot taller than the other tree because it has embraced its new surroundings.  I hope they and I will embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ and allow it to help us grow into beautiful, useful, strong women of God.


Love,
Mindy

P.S.  I’ve decided to have my kids do an online piano recital from time to time since I don’t ever hold a formal recital for them.  You can see Spencer playing his song HERE.  Sadly he suffers from stage fright just like his mother.  J

No comments: