Search This Blog

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Our Very FIRST Successful General Conference Experience

Click here for concise conference store instructions.

Yesterday my amazing friend Chani shared her great idea of a conference store that she set up for her children.  It had snacks and drinks and things that her kids could buy during conference with "conference cash".  I loved the idea so this morning I set up a conference store and printed some conference cash on green card stock for my kids and they loved it.  Here are some pictures of our conference store. 

$1 items: 10 jelly belly jelly beans, a homemade chocolate chip cookie, laffy taffy
$2 item:  4 gumballs

$3 items: a bag of chips
$5 item: a can of soda

$6 items: mini m&m's, a small package of jerky, snickers, peanut m&m's
My kids earned $1 in conference cash for every talk that they wrote down: 
  1. the name of the speaker, 
  2. a word or two about what the talk was about, 
  3. what color tie or dress they wore, 
  4. and if they were present, reverent and quiet during the whole talk.  
They had do do all of those things to get $1.  I've made a concise journal page for taking these notes to save me from printing out a whole packet for each of my kids in the future.  I also had play doh, coloring pages, crosswords, and other activities printed out from various conference packets to foster reverence after they'd made some notes about the speakers.  Only the younger kids who can't write got conference cash for those activities though.  I also gave conference cash for being very reverent during the prayers and for singing nicely during the rest hymn.  Karalee and Bryant stayed in the family room quietly for both sessions.  

The amazing thing about today was when I told the girls that conference was starting this afternoon and they ran from playing on the trampoline to listen. Wow. That's never happened before.  This will for sure become a tradition for us.   

Credits:  This is the blog I got the conference cash and original journal from.  I tweaked her journal more to my preferences.

No comments: